Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“Kim, are you really okay?”

“I am fine, Claire. Really,” I said to her over my phone.

“Just admit it, you’re not. Don’t lie to me, Carson. I know you too well. Besides, your voice is croaking uglily.” She pointed out. “I don’t know if that’s even a word,” she added promptly.

I gave out  a dry chuckle. “It’s a word alright.”

“Oh, by the way you left a lot of stuffs in the class, including your bag and a couple of books.”

“Gosh! I totally forgot them!” I pressed my forehead with the palms of my hands.  I chastised myself for being so careless.

“Don’t worry, I’ll deliver it to your house tommorow Sunday.”

 “Oh thank you so much Claire. I owe you. This Chris stuff is driving me insane that I even left without thinking longer,” I clicked my tounge.

“What exactly happened huh? Brandon told me he saw you running into random guys while you’re crying like crazy and Chris is on your tail. ”

I sighed.

“Don’t just sigh, tell me ALL of it!” she said impatiently.

I cleared my throat. “Um, well it was...”

“Was what?”

“Geez, I’m trying to talk here.”

“Well?”

I told her all of it, except the part that he gripped my elbow. It was kind of personal to me.

“That’s it?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“He’s weird. I mean, he’s used to hang around you but...”

“I know. That’s why I was so flustered  about his attitude towards me. I only asked a simple question but he did not answered at all.”

“Just because,” she laughed wrily over the line. “What kind of person will receive that kind of answer anyways?”

“An idiot.” I smiled. “He’s not that stupid, Claire. I know that.”

“He’s obviously hiding something, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.  Sometimes I feel that he’s a jerk.”

She giggled. “A jerk with a handsome face.”

“Hey!”

“Of course! Don’t you notice that he’s hot?”

I fell silent.

“Oh you noticed!” she said in a sing sang voice. “You know, I think that crew cut really changed his looks. I heard a few girls near the locker were swooning over him, especially when his muscles are starting to show now. I also heard that the football team recruited him last week.”

“Oh.” that’s what I could say. He did not told me. Of course he did not.

“Kim!”

“What?”

Claire was quiet for a moment. “Do you think he’s lovesick?”

That struck me. Did  he have a girl friend already? Or is he after somebody?

“Kim, I gotta go. My mom told me to keep an eye on Dane at his friend’s birthday party.”

“You go to 4th graders’ party?”

“Don’t ask! She made me do it!”

I laughed,  knowing that she pulled a face there. “Well, good luck babysitting then.”

“Yeah right. Bye, I’m hanging up.”

I threw my phone accross the bed. I snatched my covers, pulling them over my head. They wrapped my body snuggly as never before. I never thought that this will be warm enough to hide my sadness and tears. Somebody turned the door knob, making soft squeaking sounds as the footsteps traced their way to my bed.

“Honey, are you alright?”

For a moment, I didn’t answer back. “Yeah mom. I’m...” I took a deep breath “I’m just not feeling well today,” I lied.

She sat on my bed that parts of the covers sank around her. “Do you want some hot tea? It will help you.”

“No mom. I’m okay with it.”

She sighed, “Aright then dear. Just take your time to rest.”

I could hear her walking out of my room.

She yelled over my door, her voice slightly muffled “We’re having barbecue for dinner, so get up before 7.”

I groaned. I can’t sleep like normal people do. I hybernates, that’s why.

“And we’re inviting Mr. Richard and his family to come over!” she added.

Oh great.

I closed my eyes, hoping to sleep longer than needed.  Today is enough already and I don’t feel like meeting Mr. Richard. He is my dad’s childhood friend. My family and theirs are planning to open a day care business together. Which means we’ll be meeting his family more often than before to discuss this “family business” together. Then I remembered something really important.

My eyes flew open.

 If Mr. Richard is coming here with his entire family, then it means that...

OH CRAP.  HOLY CRAP.

Chris is coming here tonight.

***

Hey there! It felt so long to update especially with my sore throat and a flu I caught. How’s the story so far? Me myself is excited to write this chapter because it’ll lead to interesting events. I’d like to thank the people who read this. I’m really happy though it’s only a few who viewed this story.  Thanks  a lot!