Sneak Peek to "Silent Thoughts" {Book Two of TOS}

{The First Night in Paradise: Gally's POV}
"Ahh, I see what's going on." A familiar voice says from behind, breaking me out of my daze.
I look over my shoulder to see Brenda, who smirks at me as she takes a seat beside me.
Huffing a heavy sigh through my nose, my shoulders sinking, I avert my attention to the group across the fire, once again, watching (y/n) as she laughs at Minho, who is still venting dramatically.
To my surprise, (y/n) scans the sights behind herself, looking at Brenda before flickering her (y/e/c) eyes to me.
The sudden, unexpected eye contact causes my heart to lurch out of my chest.
A warm smile pulls up the ends of her lips, and, lifting her right hand, she waves at me.
Feeling a warm sensation rise subtly in my cheeks, unable to break away from her stare, I slowly raise my hand and wave in return, managing to smile weakly.
She giggles softly to herself before turning back around to face the others.
Minho defensively continues to protest that he did not make a fool of himself with Harriet moments before, causing the others to uproar into further laughter.
If it weren't for Newt's hand on her back, (y/n) probably would have stumbled back from how hard she is laughing.
Shuck, she is beautiful when she laughs.
I can feel Brenda's big brown eyes staring at me with curiosity, but I do not return her glance.
"If this is what I think it is, then I understand what you're feeling." She explains in a soft voice. In my peripherals, I can see a small smile tug on the left corner of her lips.
Not replying, I begin to doze off again as I watch (y/n) talk and laugh with the others.
Everything Newt had said to me about her, everything he confessed, I completely agree with. She carries herself in such a strong, yet gentle, manner that it's incomprehensible to me. Her heart is big and pure, and she seems to have her mindset always on the correct path, even when I've failed to see it.
"You're in love with someone who doesn't feel the same," Brenda whispers, "aren't you?"
As I witness (y/n) turn to look at Newt, getting a clear silhouette of her, I watch a wide grin stretch across her face.
It's insane how a mere 24 hours can change someone's fate. I honestly thought she wasn't going to survive all of the damage from fighting off Newt when the Flare had consumed him, when he was passing through to the Gone, and, yet, here she is, alive and well.
Even though there is a deep ache in my heart, I cannot help but be filled with joy by the mere sight of her being happy.
"Yes." I finally mutter softly. "Yes, I am."