chapter 7

We walked down the stairs to see that Shay was sitting on the couch drinking a beer. I didn't see Lacey. I walked out to Shay as Sage went into the kitchen.

“Where's Lacey?” I asked.

“Upstairs changing.” Shay said.

“I wanted to talk to you.” I sat down next to her.

“About what?” She looked at me taking another sip of her beer.

I took the beer from her and took a sip myself. Handing it back to her I smiled. That's when Sage came out and sat between us.

“Lacey’s coming.” Sage said as she leaned against me.

Shay rolled her eyes. Lacey came out and sat down on the other side of Shay. She leaned against her. I sighed.

Shay flipped through the channels until we agreed on Imagine Me and You. “Well three out of four of us agreed.” Lacey groaned.

It was about an hour when Lacey went off to bed. Sage stood up.

“I'm going to head to bed.” Sage smiled and nodded at me for the go ahead.

Shay smiled as the movie finished. “I should probably get to bed as well. That was a good movie.”

“Before you go is there somewhere we can talk privately?” I asked.

Shay nodded. “Follow me.”

My heart thumped as I followed her. She opened the back door and motioned for me to step out ahead of her. “Take a seat on the swing.”

I did as she came over and sat next to me. She sipped on another beer as I tried to find the right words to tell her.

I looked at her as we started to swing. “I don't really know how to start.” I said softly.

“How about from the beginning?” Shay smirked.

“Okay smart ass.” I chuckled.

Shay took another sip and handed me the bottle. I took a long swig. I slowly handed it back to her. “I been keeping this from you for years and I need to tell you before you marry Lacey.”

“Tell me what?” Shay asked.

“I am….” I stopped.  “I am in love with you Shay.”

I watched as Shay stared at me reading my face. She put the beer down and slowly stood up. She stood at the edge of the back porch overlooking the fenced in yard. I got up and went to stand beside her.

“I am in love with you Shay. The moment we meant. I fell for you. I didn't know my feelings until Lacey came into the picture. I just couldn't bring myself to tell you. I was afraid that you would reject me. I couldn't live with myself if you did that. “ I said.

Shay didn't say a word as she turned to look at me. Before I knew it she had me pressed up against the pillar and her lips hungrily crashed against mine. I left out a moan against her lips. Her hands went up my shirt. I felt as she kissed me deeper. My hands went up and ran through her hair. I haven't felt this happy let alone excited in a long time. Slowly she pulled away.

“I never thought you could feel that way. I love you too. I never stopped even when Lacey came into the picture. I just thought you were with Lance. I didn't think that things with Lacey would get this far. I did it to make you jealous. I wanted to see you react. Seeing you kiss Sage hurt me because I want to be the one kissing you.”

“Then why did you stop?” I smirked.

She touched my cheek. When she went to kiss me we both heard the cough behind us. Sage was standing in the door.