CHAPTER III Meet and Greet

Start from the beginning

This practice of putting hedges to "the press" was just a glorified form of indentured servitude to the state. Hedges all around Milton were taken usually by force by the authorities "with or without notice" to serve impressments of 5 to 10 years, depending on skill level, for the good of Milton in jobs or taskings chosen by the state. Whereas before, hedges would, of their own choice and free will, perform "little magic for a fee" to help their neighbors. They were now forced into impressments to propel the growing industrialization that gripped Milton after the war as the Mages, the Masters of Milton, try to establish an economy that would employ and support the people. They started with infrastructure and road-building. But, it was the railroad project that propelled Milton into the industrial power that it had become, just a decade after the wars, all thanks to the commoners and hedges who did the back-breaking manual work. Everything had to be built by hand or with the help of the few imported elementals who survived the journey to Milton as no higher magic would work on the cursed land. So, hedge impressments and conscriptions of the common workers became the norm as more and more "hands" were needed to build the new industries of Milton.

While the hedges served "in the press" or "press gang" they lived in tenement housing near the 10 cities of Milton, where all work had now congregated. Hedges were made to work 12-16 hour days for the good of Milton while receiving only half-pay. In addition, their pay was docked 2-4 hours per day to cover the upkeep cost of the tenement housing run by the state. Straight commoners who were fortunate enough to get work, lived in project housing which were even more cramped than tenement housing and received quarter-pay and were made to pay rent for their housing. Only trained mages, even entry level mages, lived in townhouses, received full pay and subsidized housing. There were also many imported seasonal hands hired by the masters to do seasonal work who received "jipped" pay. This was a Milton slang that referred to how these seasonal "hands" were fully under the mercy of their masters. They were not Milton Citizens, hence, the authorities "did not bother" with then, as such, they had no protection from the law; ergo, their pay (quarter or half-pay) was very much determined by the disposition of their Masters. Needless to say, most of these seasonal workers got "jipped" their pay as most masters were only concerned with the profit margin and were unconcerned about any misery they inflicted on their workers.

Milton had become the forefront of industrialization, The Agrarian base was lost for nothing will grow on the land. Trade and industry took center stage. When the soot and the smoke of the Dark Wars were cleared, Milton quickly replaced it with the soot and smoke of industry. All kinds of industries and manufactories sprang up in the cities and the populace flocked to it giving rise to over-cramped housing, poor sanitation, and just down-right filthy neighborhoods. Living conditions were almost inhuman for the poor. The scarcity of basic goods made most goods very expensive for the common person and most suffered from malnourishment. Milton men and women were a proud group who relished their independence. They took pride in honest labor but with so few jobs to be found and many mouths to feed, many had to reluctantly turn to charities for help. Though they did not much like "the free hand-out," as they would rather have earned their keep, many had little to no choice but to flock the food centers that provided free meals at designated times a day, else their children would starve. In fact, the largest feeding organization was run by the brotherhoods and sisterhoods of the light, a loose cooperative group of civic-minded people and light orders who did all they could to help their less fortunate fellows.

"We should do more to help, Grandfather Bell. We have harvested more than what the Monastery here at Crampton Crescent or the three other Monasteries at the Bell Estates can consume. Let us not waste this abundance when so many are suffering in the cities." Margaret pleaded with her Grandfather.

"Margaret, what do you know of these suffering wretches but what you read in the papers and the magazine tattles. Do not be so eager, my child, for the reality of Milton's ugliness will soon be upon you, the Thorntons know who you are now so you cannot remain here in the keep as we had originally planned. You will join us as we remove into the City." After a pause he continued, "Oh, how I wish I could spare you from the cruelty and unkindness you will see. How I wish I could delay your coming out. How I wish I can protect you more." Lord Bell in painful tones exclaimed. "Everywhere in the cities of Milton are cruelty and unkindness. When you see it, it will surely offend your sensibilities and you, with your compassionate heart, might wish to act, to help. I pray! Don't take action, Margaret. Do not concern yourself. For your good intentions will surely result in punishments for the whole family. They will not care about reason. They only care about power and wealth. They are not genteel southeners, my dear."