CHAPTER II First Impressions

A/N: Sorry for the scorching pace of the last chapter, I wanted to do a quick set-up so readers could understand the world these characters are operating in. The story is a sort of Mish-Mash Apocalyptic Fantasy. I wanted to retain some Gaskell'esque elements in my attempts to wrap the romance story with some social aspects and concerns of the world these characters have to live in. In essence, I wanted to answer that "central question we think about when we read Gaskell books:" (From North and South, CHAPTER 49. Breathing Tranquility) "she herself must answer for her own life, and what she has done with it...how much was to be utterly merged in obedience to authority; and how much might be set apart for freedom in working?"

It is a big undertaking to write, to dedicate yourself to a story and to put yourself out there to be reviewed. Thank you so much for your support, as I continue to pay tribute to the genius that is Mrs. Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell.

CHAPTER II

First Impressions

"It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." Genesis 2:18

As the carriage pulls up the front collonade of Crampton Keep, Margaret notices her cousin, Edith, standing at the window of the great chamber looking out. After she disembarks, she waves at her cousin eagerly who smiled back at her. Forgetting all else, Margaret quickly walks up the steps to the front entrance, excited to share her news with Edith. "I'll wait here for Mama and Papa. Why don't you go in, Margaret?" Fred said with a laugh for it was obvious that his sister paid him no mind, so excited was she to meet up with Edith and be again with her cousin whom she grew up with. The keep guard opens the door for Margaret and one of the lady attendants helps to remove her veil, gloves, straw bonnet and her drab light brown coat.

Underneath the coat, she wore the latest in London Fashion - a shimmering and filigree- detailed décolleté mid-line dress, fitted at the waist, with very short sleeves and flowing multi-tiered hem that highlighted all her womanly curves. She is a vision, ethereal, graceful, as if she were a fairy queen regally surveying her dominion. She, of course, is unaware of her appearance as she only wore the outfit to please her cousin who has been depressed of late due to the on-again-off-again nature, currently off-again relationship between Edith and Captain Lennox of Scot from the North. How tumultuous the path to true love is. Edith has been quite miserable in her letters of late and Margaret thought to cheer her up by showing her some of the new outfits Lady Maria had ordered to be made by the finest seamstress in London for her and Edith. "I hope this letter will help get them closer to an engagement soon," Margaret muttered to herself while shaking her head, thinking of these two lovesick lovers. "Love truly makes fools of all who suffer from this malady of the heart," Margaret said to herself as her mind drifted to the Captain Lennox, the aforementioned lovesick "beau" who in his eagerness nearly accosted Margaret at the Outwood Station Inprocessing Zone to press his case about "the truth of his love for fair Edith" and to get reassurances that his letter will get to Edith at first sight of "the fair one."

Shaking her head and rolling her eyes, Margaret mumbled with a slight cringe, "As if they would not see each other soon enough, Lovers! Eww..."

After removing the said letter from her coat and holding on to it with her right hand, she ran to great chamber to greet her cousin. "Edith, I'm here, fair cousin." Margaret exclaimed as she threw her arms around her petite, blonde cousin, in a warm embrace. "How I've missed you, dearest."

"And I you, your letters have been a great comfort to me. I'm so glad you remember to write me so often, dearest Margaret. You truly are the most precious pearl of Helstone" Edith spoke warmly, looked up at her stately cousin, cupped Margaret's face gently in her small tapered hands, and winked at her dark-haired cousin.