Chapter Twenty - Wrecking Ball

Start from the beginning

"They were mom's," He said, smiling softly at her. "She would have wanted you to have them."

Eve's lips parted, and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "I don't remember her ever using them."

"I know. She used them the most before she met Jackson, then he forced her to stop using weapons all together. It was likely because he felt nervous that she was better with weapons than he was." Jack chuckled.

Eve sighed. "Honestly, I don't think I could hate that man more than I do now."

Jack nodded. "I know the feeling." He quickly changed the subject. "Well, anyway... She told me that she made the bow and arrows out of one of the few trees that withstood the bombs. It's some of the strongest wood in the world." 

She nodded, smiling softly. "Just like her... Being able to stand tall and strong when everything else was in chaos." She bit her lip, feeling her eyes get slightly moist. 

Jack paused for a moment, then reached into the box again and pulled out a bundled item. She realized that it was a jacket, specifically a black leather jacket. He draped it over her shoulders, and smiled softly at her. "I think you should wear this today. Mom would have wanted you to."

Eve pulled the sleeves around her, and it nearly felt like the jacket was hugging her. In fact, it felt like her mother was there with her, holding her in her arms.

Jack slowly stood up after that. "We'll leave in around an hour or so. I'll meet you at the training ground. " He said, quickly exiting the room.

Eve bit her lip, glancing out the window once he was gone. She had someone she needed to see first.

*

Murphy jumped up onto the back of the truck, silently pointing and simultaneously counting the survival packs that they had. 27. There were 7 extra packs for the trip.

Murphy jumped down and off the truck, right when Adam and Carson climbed into it. "We're good here!" He yelled, walking over to Jack, who had been speaking to one of the head guards.

The guard did a quick nod and was already walking away from Murphy got there. "So what's the plan?"

Jack glanced at him, before looking back down at his hands. Murphy realized that he had been holding a small sheathed knife in it, the knife covered in the tight leather container with strange designs sewed into it. "Well, first of all, we have to drive as far as we can. At least, as far as the paths will take us. Then, we'll try to reach the river, and if it's dark by then, we'll camp out there. "

"What will we do in the morning?"

"We'll try to reach the area where the bomb was, and try to inspect it enough so that we'll be able to find out if it was a bomb from one of the colonies. If we don't reach it by then, we'll camp out again."

Murphy bit his lip a little. 

Jack smiled. "Murphy, it's fine. It's only for one night."

Murphy sighed softly. "A lot can happen in one night."

Jack didn't say anything for a moment, then quickly changed the subject. "If we find what we're looking for, then we'll know exactly what we're dealing with."

Murphy tilted his head a little, furrowing his eyebrows. "What exactly are you looking for?"

Jack looked at him with an eyebrow raised, then sighed and reached into his pocket, stuffing the knife into his belt with his other hand. He pulled out a small vial with a black dust-like substance.