Seventeen: Transformation

Start from the beginning

"To fend for yourself. I wasn't making shit up when I mentioned that vampires could never live a peaceful lifestyle. Lots of crap happens to our species. It's like a danger magnet."

I flinched when I heard him say 'danger magnet' the same way I described my new life. Sometimes I disliked the similar aspects of our way of thinking.

"By the way, it's going to hurt," Zach said abruptly. I covered my neck instinctively, and he snickered. "Not that. Your fangs will grow at approximately midnight. It'll feel like having your wisdom teeth pulled out without anesthetic."

I glanced at the clock. I only had an hour left.

"There's a solution," Zach added. "You won't feel it if you're coincidentally unconscious during those short minutes."

"How am I supposed to do that? It's not like I can fall asleep."

"How else does someone fall unconscious?" he quizzed me instead of answering directly. I blinked for a good two seconds before I understood what he was getting at.

Hemorrhage.

I opened my mouth to refuse, then shut it. Pain for five seconds or pain for five minutes?

By the look of that stupid smug smirk on his face, Zach knew what I was contemplating. Then again, he'd be draining the life out of me.

We had a staring competition for a solid minute. I overanalyzed way too much. I considered his consequences if he sucked me dry. Will I die? Would it be lethal or damaging to my health? Then again, in a couple more hours, I'd be immortal. But, I'm still prone to a million ways of death before that time. How can I guarantee my safety?

"Deaths usually occur when 4-5 pints of blood is lost. Almost anyone would faint at 2 pints. I can control myself within that range. Nothing will be fatal. The only issue is whether you trust me or not." Zach reasoned out. "It's fair that you don't."

He hit all the points of my worries. I tugged at my loose side fringes.

"I trust you." The words flew out of my mouth. Brief surprise crossed Zach's eyes.

I stuttered and added, "But I still need more time to think!"

"Too late. You're taking too long."

The next thing I knew, my back hit the lower kitchen cabinet. Zach's black and red irises stared into mine, giving a silent warning. I squeezed my eyes shut before a stabbing pain pierced into the side of my neck. My skin gave way like silk under his razor teeth.

I inhaled sharply, and a tremor rolled down my spine. I unconsciously arched my back in both discomfort and guilty pleasure. Somewhere along the lines, my mind began to feel foggy and diluted. I held a death grip on Zach's shoulder as the aching worsened until I could no longer contain my screams.

I bit my lip to restrain my shrieks to no avail. The feeling of five wasps stinging my neck at once continued to consume my mind. Soon, I began to shove Zach against my better judgment. If I interrupted him mid-way, the pain would linger for longer than necessary.

His hand held the side of my head to keep me in place. I thrashed my legs, but all they hit were air. I grew weaker as I felt the scarlet liquid leave my body faster and faster.

I was scared that he wouldn't stop. I felt like a lake's worth of blood was being extracted from me. My limbs ran cold soon enough, and I fell limp, unable to resist.

In an instant, I shut down. It was the longest ten seconds of my life.

~ ~ ~