❥ chapter three: dysfunctional family ties

To Phoenix's surprise, it was Miles that was reluctant to get out of bed on Christmas Eve.

"C'mon, sleeping beauty," Phoenix prodded through a dreamy breath. "You've got a lot of work to do today, remember?"

Miles growled and shoved himself further into the covers.

"Precisely. I don't want to spend the entire day working. Can't the dinner just cook itself...?" He nuzzled into Phoenix's shoulder. Phoenix blinked at the ceiling fan, ignoring the tickle of Miles' fine hair against his bare neck.

"...You DO have a lot to do."

"You just said that."

"W-Well, no, what I mean is..." Phoenix sighed and patted Miles' head. "...I-If you really don't wanna be cooped up in here all day..."

Miles peeked up, his silver eyes hopeful and glistening.

"Mm?"

"...I mean, I can always plan to see my parents some other time. S-So if you want, you can take Trucy to the hospital. I'll just stay behind and get started on the prep work."

Originally, Miles had planned to take Trucy anyway. Then, Phoenix had decided to do so when he'd realized it might be his only chance to see his parents in person for a while. But if that arrangement meant that Miles had to spend most of the day by himself, confined to the tiny kitchen, he could set that aside. He could see his parents any time, seeing as he still had parents. Miles didn't have that luxury.

Miles, surprised at the offer, pulled back to properly look Phoenix in the eye.

"...Really? You mean that?"

Phoenix grinned, affectionately stroking a thumb along Miles' jawline. He liked watching his pupils dilate in response to touch when he was up this close.

"Yeah, I mean it. Trucy'll show them how that video chat thing works, right?"

"Why does your nine-year-old know more about technology than you do?"

"HEY. It's not like you're any help! You and your books—"

Miles laughed, interrupting Phoenix with a stolen kiss, before he finally moved to climb out of the bed.

"Alright, alright. I'm up. I'm going. Don't— Don't you dare stare at me again!"

Phoenix's cheeky grin spread from ear to ear as he made a show of putting his arms behind his head and leaning back against the pillows.

"You know," he teased, "I could really get used to this arrangement." It was worth the pillow that was promptly thrown in his face.

— · · —

"...So Miles is gonna take you to see grandma instead, like the original plan, okay?"

"Okay!" Trucy confirmed. Phoenix breathed a sigh of relief. He should have known that such a simple change in plans wouldn't phase her.

"Okay," Phoenix parroted back. "It'll be alright. Grandma and Grandpa like Miles."

"Yeah! They said that he... He's..." Trucy faded off, frowning all of a sudden, and turned to scan her surroundings. She then leaned in and asked Miles, in a hushed whisper, "...What do I call you?"

Ah, Phoenix thought. Now there's a question. Miles fidgeted uncomfortably, but didn't try to remove Trucy's hand from his.

"Well, you've called me Miles all this time, haven't you? What's wrong with that?"