[2*] Pray For The New King

Start from the beginning

Silence fell until it was noticed that Shuri raised her hand. The crowd expressed their confusion and shock aloud as all eyes fell on the princess. She continued to eye her brother, both faces clear of any expression.

"This corset is really uncomfortable," she shifted in her stance to gaze up at the people above her on the cliffs, "so, could we all just wrap it up and go home!" She finished, clapping her hands together. Noise erupted from the crowd as Queen Mother pinched her daughter in disapproval. Shuri gasped in pain and inched away to retreat from the possibility of any further attacks. T'Challa couldn't help but smile and shake his head at his sister's antics.

All laughter began to be drowned out by distant shouting coming from inside a cave of the waterfall. Eyes danced around in confusion until several men appeared from the caves one by one, their voices growing louder. White patterns contrasted against their dark complexions along their faces and chest. One man leading the chant made his way out of the cave with a mask shielding his face.

Shuri's brow furrowed in confusion. "Are they Jabari?" She wondered, leaning towards her mother.

"Yes," Queen Mother muttered in response to her daughter.

The men quieted once the leader maneuvered to stand before Zuri and T'Challa. He gazed at the men through the holes in his mask prior to removing it. Anger was present on his features as he eyed T'Challa where he stood.

T'Challa's face remained neutral, almost unfazed as he stared at M'Baku.

"M'Baku, what are you doing here?" Zuri inquired.

"It's challenge day," he simply stated, shrugging. He finally tore his eyes away from the prince and turned on his heels. M'Baku eyed the people along the cliffs while they stared down at him in wonder. He took several steps forward, parting his lips to speak, "we have watched and listened from the mountains. We have watched with disgust," he inched closer to T'Challa's family, "as your technological advancements have been overseen by a child!" The spear gripped in his hand lurched forward towards Shuri. It didn't make contact but instead was pointed a few feet away. 

Nevertheless, the Dora Milaje shifted to point their spears at him in protection. The parties involved didn't waver from their stance until M'Baku lowered his staff. He continued, "who scoffs at tradition. And now you want to hand the nation over to this prince," he turned to look upon T'Challa once more, "who could not even keep his own father safe, hm?" The tribe leader took steps towards T'Challa who eyed the man with newfound anger behind his orbs. He managed to display self-control, especially at the mention of his late father. 

"We will not have it. I said we will not have it! I, M'Baku, leader of the Jabari wish-"

"I accept your challenge, M'Baku," T'Challa told him. The prince took in the man before him, tightening his grip on the sword and shield within his hands. His opponent was considerably larger than him but nonetheless, he remained confident in his skill. A part of him anticipated the fight soon to take place. 

"Glory to Hanuman." M'Baku's lips curled into a small smile. He lingered before the prince a moment longer before finally stepping away.

Nearby, a set of drums began to beat as preparations for the challenge to come took place. The people didn't tear their eyes away from the two men. The atmosphere grew tense, but also matched the amount of anticipation T'Challa felt within him. 

Zuri approached T'Challa to carefully place a wooden panther mask on his face. Meanwhile, the mask that once shielded M'Baku's features was returned. The Jabari tribe leader clutched the wooden spear in his hand before raising his free hand to form a fist few inches his head. He turned in the direction of his men.