Chapter Seven

Mace and Layla were released from the hospital after the Third Hokage's Funeral, he and many others had died during the attack on the village. Shiro skipped ahead of Mace and Layla with a disgruntled looking Kuro in her arms as she hugged him against her. He tolerated the snuggles and skipping because of his love for the exuberant youth, though was ready to lash out at anything else that breathed.

Shiro spotted Genma leaning against the hospital gate entrance and grinned, "Genma-sensei!" She skipped over to him with a childish giggle.

He turned to her with a smile and pat her on the head, "Thought I might find you here." His gaze fell down to her hands around the belly of the now fuming black cat. She'd had a deep gash in the palm of her hand during the attack, it shouldn't already be healed, yet she didn't have any bandages on. There was a faint outline of a scratch where the wound had been but otherwise it was completely healed. "I've got a mission for you, think you're up for it?"

"Our first mission?" Shiro squealed excitedly, "What is it?"

Genma chuckled, "Sorry, kid, I'm pretty busy. It's a solo mission, I thought would be perfect for you."

"Oh." Shiro's smile fell slightly, she should have known, after the Third Hokage was killed many of the elite shinobi like Genma were busy trying to keep things running and keep the village protected. "What's the mission?"

"During the attack a lot of cats went missing, think you can round them up and return them to their worried owners?"

"I'll save all the kitties!" Shiro cried and prepared to race off.

Genma caught her by the back of the shirt before she could scurry away. "Might want the list of owners." He extended a small folder to her filled with papers.

"The kitties can tell me where they belong." Shiro noted as she tried to run off again. There were kitties in need, scared, lonely and probably hungry kitties that needed her help.

"You can understand all cats?"

"I can understand lots of animals, Genma-sensei." Shiro giggled, "Now can I go save the kitties?"

Genma chuckled, "Alright, I'm not sure where I'll be at all day, probably The Hokage's Office Building, find me when your done. If I'm not there-."

"I'll be able to find you." Shiro smiled as she pointed to her ears.

Genma shook his head, "You're something else." He ruffled her hair, "Go save the kitties."

Shiro was about to take off in a flash before realization dawned on her that Mace and Layla were just a few paces behind her and weren't leaf shinobi. "Ah, what about you guys?" She turned to her comrades.

Layla had tears in her eyes but was forcing herself to smile, "We need to head back, we've already been here longer than expected."

Shiro's stomach churned unpleasantly. "You're leaving, already?"

"Hey, don't look so sad, kiddo, there's kitties that need your help." Mace chuckled. "Get going, you have a mission."

"But-."

"No buts. You're a leaf ninja now and your village needs you." Mace wrapped her in a warm hug, "Love you, kiddo."

"I'm not ready for goodbyes." Shiro whined.