Chapter 1

Sunlight peeked through the shades in my room as I awoke from my not so great sleep. For twelve years now I've had nightmares every night and no matter what, they always come. I've struggled with the thought of falling asleep only to see those demons that appear every night and never do they get any prettier. Getting myself out of bed isn't any easier. Everyday is a struggle. Talking and interacting with people is hard, I always feel as I am in the wrong. I'm never saying the right thing, I never think before I speak and I've tried so hard to change that aspect of me but I never can. I guess it's just meant to be. I get it from my father, but somehow he always knew what to say, he was the Alpha. He had to know. My grandfather and Uncles Chad and Richard were all like this. They didn't have a selfish bone in their body. They made sure everyone was taken care of, no one was left out. Rogues that were reasonable were brought into the pack. They became family because of those four men's belief.

"Everyone deserves a second chance. "

My Uncle Richard was a firm believer of that, and somehow in one night it all changed. Uncle Richard, the man I grew to love as another father. The man I trusted to kiss my wounds when my parents weren't there or to tell my secrets to. He was my best friend. He was my only friend back then. When I was 8 years old my grandpa passed away, and in my pack it is tradition that the Alpha title is not passed down until the current Alpha dies or is forced to resign. Everyone thought that Richard would become Alpha, as he was the oldest of my grandparent's children. But when my grandfather's will was read at the funeral, we learned that my father would become Alpha. It was there that everything changed. In the following days Richard became distant to everyone in the pack. Even his mate Carolyn. We all assumed that it was his grief over his father's death until the night of my father's crowning.

Uncle Richard had been meeting with Rogues that had a past with my grandfather and wanted revenge. He made a deal that if they were to kill my father, they would be high ranking warriors in the pack he was forming. He didn't care who was killed, the only person he cared about living was my aunt Carolyn. He wanted us to suffer, to burn, because we supported my grandfather's decision.

During the crowning ceremony an army of rogues stormed through the hall with torches. They threw them to the curtains and to the floor erupting the hall into nothing but flames. My father managed to get women and children out of the hall but many men including my father were lost to the flames. My aunt Carolyn and their son Connor were killed in the fire too. When my uncles learned of this he went crazy. He killed all of the rogues that a part of the task. I overheard many talk about him weeks after the fire, they said after killing all of the rogues he stormed off into the woods and was never seen again. No one is allowed to bring up his name. It has been almost thirteen years and his name has not been mentioned since my Uncle Chad became Alpha.

*****************

After staring at my white ceiling for twenty minutes or so, I heard the familiar knock at my door. "Megan? It's Marcus can I come in?" As usual, I don't respond. Why would I waste time responding? He would just come in anyways.

"Alright princess, you had your chance. One day you will respond and that will be the day I die." He said as he opened my door and walked in. "You'll answer me and I will die from shock. And I will lay here flat on your nice carpet dead." I didn't respond, I just rolled my eyes and turned my face into the pillow and groaned.

"Get up it's time for our daily run! Ty and Carmen are already ready and waiting on us. You know how Ty gets when he's annoyed, he may not speak but that look he gives you can knock some fear into anyone." He sat on my bed and began rubbing small circles into my back. I laid there for a few seconds and just let him work his magic before getting out of bed.

I heard Marcus get up as I went toward the bathroom with shorts and a T-shirt to change into after I shift. My bedroom door shut quietly and I quickly brushed my teeth and pulled my long black hair into a ponytail. I looked at myself in the mirror and frowned. I was hideous to say the least. My hair was a mess from tossing and turning, my eyes were red at the rim and bloodshot from crying in my sleep, and just below my eyes were some serious dark circles from lack of sleep that were just too hard to hide anymore. I turned away before I could see anything else and ran down the stairs. I grabbed a banana from the fruit basket and quickly ate it before going outside to join everyone else.

I went behind a tree and looked for anyone around. When no one was there I took off my pajamas and shifted. My bones cracked and shifted into wolf form. My icy white hair grew to cover every inch of my body. I was finally ready.

I came out from behind the tree and ran to the training field where I saw three other wolves waiting for me. Carmen stood next to my brother and Marcus across from them. I was the only white wolf of the entire pack and it felt terrible. I stood out like a sore thumb compared to everyone else who were grey, brown, or black.

They all turned and saw me, I nodded for the go ahead and we starting running.

The training field had two parts. The field for battle training and the woods around it to run. The trees stood as obstacles that were good to practice running between because you must always have a keen eye wherever you went. Marcus led the group with me at the end. I always trailed behind because I could see them all in front of me and I could always make sure they were okay.

We ran for a good two miles, to and from the spot where we began. After running I went back upstairs to my room and took a shower. I sat in the shower for a while and just let the water hit me. The water was cold when I got out. I had used all the hot water or all four of us were trying to shower at the same time. I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around myself. After quickly drying off I put on a clean pair of jean shorts and a T-shirt and went downstairs. Like always on Saturdays, everyone was huddled in the movie room watching some TV show. I went over to where Marcus and cuddle up into him.

Marcus and I became inseparable after the fire. He knew the pain I was going through losing my dad in the fire because he lost his brother Thomas. We are not mates, we are actually far from each other's mate, he's my cousin. Although he is more like a brother to me. Him and Ty like to consider themselves as my personal body guards.

I could feel myself slowly falling asleep in Marcus's arms. His arms were wrapped tightly around me and his fingers were running through my hair. His heart was just under my ear so I could hear it loud and clear.

He was still with me. I wasn't alone.

*********************************************************************

AUTHOR'S NOTE ( PLEASE READ!!!)

So, if you have already read this chapter, you will notice a lot of it has changed. I wrote this story in the 8th grade and I published it on Watt pad my freshman year... I've been off this account since I finished updating. The reason why I came back to this account, was to find the book I read before and that I was wanting to read again. There I found I had over 1000 notifications (I was gone for 2 ½ years) So I got curious of how the book was doing and I see I had over 60,000 reads. I was in class and I nearly pissed myself. I couldn't believe that so many people wanted to read the mess that was this book. So it became my goal to make this better. But being a senior in high school, with everything that was going on I couldn't make time for this, so once again I shoved this book into the corner of To-Do's. I'm finally on break and so I'm going to get as many chapters as I can done.

When I am editing, there will be chapters missing from the books because I put them back into the draft file. I will not do this unless I know that I have time to finish. After I do edit, the previous chapter will not blend into the next so I'm sorry, but it's going to be this way until I get this book edited and finished once again. Please, please, please know that I am trying my hardest to get this edited and finished for you guys.

Happy Thanksgiving you guys! If you don't celebrate, have a wonderful day!

<3 L