CHAPTER XVI - GRAVEYARDS

Start from the beginning

After the service, I was curious to see Anastasia's grave. There it was. A pink marble plaque with Duchess Anastasia Julien of W. deRhones carved in the stone with the dates of her birth and supposed death. I stared at the words and at the earth at the tomb's foot. No one rested there. It was odd to see Anastasia's name like that, to see that all believed she had died in her early twenties – and no one really knew why and how.

I sighed. I felt odd suddenly, as if I really were a widower after all. It wasn't too late now for me to go on and marry again. It was a possibility. But even as I stood there considering the possibility, I knew it wouldn't happen. I was in love with Anastasia and not even death had managed to part us. My wife was a vampire. I'll tell Myrrha. I thought as I walked away from my wife's grave.

A figure appeared in front of me. It was a tall man, well dressed and good looking. He had dark hair and extremely pale skin and his clothes were full of colour. He wore gloves and there was something familiar about the glow of his skin. Could this be? The man smiled and I saw his pointed teeth. In daylight? Impossible! The man stretched out his hand to shake mine.

"Matthew," he said introducing himself, "I know who you are, of course, Julien of W., you don't mind if I don't call you Duke or Sir, do you?"

"No," I said. As if I would contradict a vampire. But I somehow felt as if I had known him for a long time and I could trust him.

"Well, Julien," said Matthew – I felt this might be a pseudonym, because Anastasia had told me her vampire friends fancied not telling their true name to mortals, but as I didn't know who he was, I'll call him Matthew for now. "I've something important to discuss with you this afternoon."

"Aye, what is it?" I asked him.

"You don't mind if we take a stroll around the graveyard?" he asked and I shook my head. "I've always liked graveyard, they're so peaceful, aren't they? Peaceful and it is unlikely that we might meet anyone who will bother to find out what you are up to," said Matthew as he indicated that we should start walking down the path.

"How can you be in the sun?" I asked him unable to contain my curiosity anymore after a few minutes.

"Oh, I'm one created by Will and Wail, a sort of agreement between them. I work for them in the three Worlds. I am sure you know all about the three Worlds, seeing as you are married with one of us – very odd that the alliance should outlive what happened," he said thoughtfully, "but I'm not here to discuss your love life, I am—"

"—the three Worlds, heh?" I asked cutting him, "you're Azym then."

He winced.

"Please, tell me why you came." I asked thoughtfully. Then a horrible thought struck me. What if Anastasia was unwell? Maybe Kayeh had managed to get her! Oh, Anastasia!

"She is all right. Kayeh did meet her, but he didn't want her dead then. Now, I am here to ask you about your daughter – is she well?"

"Aye."

"Well, beware. She has a new acquaintance which we would rather she had not," said Azym. "She has made friends with Kayeh."

I stared at Azym disbelievingly. Myrrha knew Kayeh? How could she! Oh, my, I had failed Anastasia! She had warned me Kayeh would find a way in and I hadn't listened to her!

"Listen! Myrrha's a tricky one. She's powerful already and even though I've been following her around lately, I haven't found out what name Kayeh uses with her and how he comes to her. But we do know he's met her, and she's talked to him," explained Azym seriously.

"Couldn't Kayeh have lied when he told you he met Myrrha?" I asked.

"He could, but he isn't lying. I've had a good look at Myrrha – I've met her too – and there's something in her eyes – an enchantment of some kind, but I can't interpret it – it's very powerful. I can't get anything out of her that might concern Kayeh."