When She Leaves a Gaping Hole

Disobedience isn't something I tolerate well. This woman not only appears from nowhere, but she went against a direct order. Ms. Boyd will be a problem if in fact she does work for me. Before I relieve her of her position, I need to know why she's showing her face now. What's her aim, her objective? And who put her up to it?
Call me paranoid, but I'll make damn sure no one else takes advantage of me. One thing she called to my attention is my lack of attention to who comes in and out of my company. I sit in my office behind the desk, thumbing through her file. She is indeed one of mine but damn it all there's a real possibility she's been tearing my company apart piece by piece, and the frightening thing of it all, I wouldn't have known until it was too late. I can't live with a speck of doubt in my mind over the possibility that I may have a mole in my company. She out on her ass effective immediately!

I punch the button to the receptionist, "Sally, have Jack Higgins come to my office, now!" I didn't wait for her response, but push up from my chair running frustrated fingers through my hair. A fraction of a second later, Jack let himself in with his trademark genuine smile attached to his face.

"I assume the fuss is over Ms. Boyd?"

"Damn right. Who is she and why did you hire her without my consent?"

"I've hired many people without your consent, which never seemed to raise your interest. Why now?"

"From now on, I want to be briefed on any and all future employees you plan to hire to Bourne Inc."

"If that's what you wish but you're making it seem as if I've done my job poorly. Are you that dissatisfied with my choices?"

"I didn't say that. That woman-"

Jack interrupted, "Defied you. Yes, I know, she told me all about it. You're just going to have to trust my judgement, that I have Bourne Inc. and your best interest at heart. I hired her for a reason, trust in my decision."

"I want to know why you chose her?"

"And I want to know why you're so interested in Ms. Boyd. Infatuation perhaps?"

"Don't think so foolish of me. In no way am I interested in her in that manner."

"Doth protest too much."

"Jack, I'm serious. Why is she here? I huff.

"It's none of your business, yet. Be patient and in time all things will be revealed. In the meantime, leave Ms. Boyd to her work. It's been impeccable as you have seen in her file. She's single handedly kept this company more than afloat. Let her continue her work in peace."

"If you won't get rid of her, I will." I challenge.

"No you won't. You'd never go over my head without good reason, which you don't have. Ms. Boyd rejected your demand and you don't like it. Get over it Dominic."

As I watch him leave, a sense of frustrating loss builds brick by brick hardening my resolve to oust this woman come hell or high water. I don't know how she hooked the ever elusive Jack, but she must have immense charm out of the stratosphere to lure him over to her side. She's the elusive unicorn that's only been a popular myth, but now she's in my company firmly rooted doing God knows what.

If I can't get what I want expediently, I'll do what works. Lull her into a false sense of love, trust and understanding then drop the hammer on her. She'll hightail it through the door with pain chained to her heart.