Chapter Two

When we finally landed on the sturdy ground, I couldn't breathe. Even after Severus noticed I was gasping on my knees and pounded my back, I still couldn't bring any air into my lungs. He said a quick chant and put the tip of his wand near my nose and mouth. A strang smelling breeze was coming out of it, and soon, my lungs opened and I gasped in some refreshing air.

He put his wand away, "Are you okay? Has that ever happened before?"

I took a deep breath, savoring the clean air, "Only when I-um-when I got-" I broke off. I didn't want to tell him just how broken I was.

"Okay, well, I guess for future reference, just come to me when you feel that happening again." He stood up, "Well, we're at Hogsmeade, the village right by the Hogwarts castle. We just have to take a coach up to the castle." I nodded.

"But, wait," I tugged on his arm, "Why didn't we just go directly to the castle?"

"Because we can't have just anyone apparating into the school, it's not safe."

That reminds me of something. "I don't have any school supplies."

He nodded, "When it get's closer to the start of the year, we can get you some, but for now, we need to go see the Headmaster."

I looked at him, "Who's the Headmaster?"

He smiled thinly, "He's one of the greatest wizards of our age, Professor Albus Dumbledore."

"Why are we going to see him? Are we in trouble? Do I have to go back?" I said, a bit worried.

Snape looked at me, "No. We need to find you a family to stay with until you graduate."

I paled, "A family? Can't I just stay with you?" I didn't want a family. They'll either leave you or hurt you, and I've been hurt enough.

"No, Miss Ariel, I'm afraid that won't work. I have a job and can't help you get ready for the year. But if you're worried, I'll make sure to get you the best family there is. I already have them in mind."

"I-I just-um," I stuttered, "I-I don't know-"

"It'll be fine. They won't hurt you. They're the nicest wizards I know." He said, stepping up to the coach. There was a black horse-looking thing in front of the carriage, which made me shiver and hurry after him.

"How many wizards do you know?" I asked him, trying to forget about what was pulling the carriage.

He laughed, "Very many."

I nodded, not completely satisfied, but I'll have to deal with it later. It won't help me to complain. I'll only be hurt more.

We were silent as the carriage bumped along the rocky pathway, and I liked it that way. The less I spoke, the less I would ruin my chance to have a good life. That was what it was like living with him. He would beat me if I made too much noise and would ignore me if I didn't speak at all. It made sense.

When the carriage stopped, I was blinking my eyes as to stay awake. I didn't want to fall asleep until I knew I was safe.

Severus opened the door and walked out and I followed him noiselessly, keeping my head down. It wasn't until he nudged my shoulder did I look up.

I gasped. It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. We were standing in the courtyard of a castle, which glowed pleasantly in the sunset. Everything glowed a golden-brown color, which made me think for a moment that it was made of gold, but I could see the grey bricks. He started walking up the steps towards two massive doors. I followed him into the castle, eyes wide with tears threatening to trickle down. Was this heaven? Did he finally kill me after all these years of threatening to?