Chapter 3

A/N:

Thanks to all those supporting Whiplash! How do you guys like the book so far? Oh and when she uses her ability, if you hadn’t noticed, I call it speeding or sped in the past tense. Sooooo, yeah... enjoy :). 

Oh and the video to the right or above makes more sense later in the chapter I swear and I thought it was freaking hilarious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

I hesitantly reached for the phone. My fingers slightly shook as I gripped it tight. Quickly, before I could change my mind, I punched in the number off the card. It rang once, twice, thrice, four times, five. 

“Hello, you have reached Julian Daniels’ office. He is out at the moment. Please state your name and phone number, and he will get back to you as soon as possible.”

“Uh... I...”

“Ma’am?” the lady on the other end of the phone asked curiously. 

I took a deep breath. “My name is Mercury and my phone num--,”

“Did you say Mercury?” she questioned.

“I believe so, I mean it is my name and all.”

“Mr. Daniels, will be right with you,” she declared.

“I thought he was out?” My question was left unanswered as I heard bickering on the other side of the phone.

“Answer the phone!”

“I told you to tell people I’m out!” I’m assuming Julian replied.

“And I did that, you meathead.” I sat there awkwardly, thanking the lord I wasn’t there in person. I knew for a fact that I was not supposed to hear this conversation.

“I could fire you,” he stated pointedly

“Then do it,” phone lady challenged. “That’s what I thought.” I could imagine she was smirking at that point. “Now, answer the dang phone!” I heard a shuffling noise on the other end.

“Fine, fine,” he grumbled.

“Who are you and what do you want?” 

Before I could respond, I heard phone lady in the background. “Be nice!” she scolded. “Bastard,” I heard her mumble sounding more distant.

“I heard that!” Julian yelled. “Now, back to my first question.”

“Technically, you asked two questions, so really, it would be ‘now, back to my questions',” I responded. “Anyhow, we met yesterday. It’s Mercury.”

“Mercury?”

“Yes, why does no one believe that?”

“I’m sorry. I expected you to call in a week not the next morning.”

“Technically, it’s the afternoon, although, I did contemplate calling sooner. However, I can think faster than most and came to the conclusion rather quickly even if it took me a while to work up the pugnacity to call.” I physically face palmed for rambling. Did I mention when I’m nervous, I correct everybody and use big words. Pugnacity. Where the heck did that even come from? 

“Pug-what-ity? Never-mind that. I’m glad you called. So, you will help us?”

“Yes, my decision is unambiguous. I will offer my cooperation.” Face palm, face palm, face palm! “I mean yes. Just yes. I’m sorry. I’m just really nervous and laying down vocabulary words.”