Freedom

He was only half listening to what the teacher was saying. He didn't really hear it, though. His thoughts laid elsewhere. His window seat at the back of the rectangular classroom gave him the chance to gaze out of the window. In his opinion, the best seat in the class. He jumped ever-so-slightly as the teacher called his name. Or so it sounded. For when he looked at the teacher in the front, she was looking at another student with a similar name. As his nerves settled down, he turned back to gaze out the window. Lost in his own thoughts, as birds swarmed around in the blue sky, as if keeping any clouds that were to come away. The birds formed different shapes together in their flock, as small black, brown and white dots that kept rearranging themselves. As if to send some secret message to someone below them. But although he looked out the windows, it wasn't the birds that he saw. It was his dreams, his goals, his fantasy. Like a picture forming in the sky by the birds only he could see. He had other things on his mind than school work, and all he needed was a passing grade to continue doing what he loved. He could see it. In his dreams. Him and his teammates on the national stage. On the court, ready to take down whatever challenge the opponent may come with. The many spectators around the large hall, cheering them on. The fresh smell, that had yet to be covered with smells of sweat and hard work. The tall net in front, made of white string, separating his team and the opponents. The freshly cleaned floor underneath them, that shone in the bright lights that were pointed only at the court, leaving the audience in the dark. Lining up at the back end of the court is how it would all begin. A quick bow welcomed the game, as the 6 main players found their spaces on the court, and the reserve players went to the side along with the seventh player, the libero, who could switch in and out with the other players between the plays.

He was at the front of the court, on the left side. The large number 1 on his back held the responsibility of taking the team through all matches to the top. The referee's whistle started the game. The opponent served the ball cleanly onto their team's side of the net, where the vice captain with the number two on his uniform cleanly kept the ball in the air. As the captain, he took a runup to the net, and just before he crashed into it, he put his hands out behind him and jumped. He looked like a bird in the air. His hands stretched out like wings, his legs collected, his black uniform shining in the spotlight. All eyes were on him. It suited the team perfectly, for they were named after ravens. Fallen ravens, Flightless birds. Those names that they were called would be forced to disappear. On the national stage, where getting there in itself is a large achievement, and not one many achieve.

As he reached the top of his jump, his form changed, turning sideways. Stretching one arm out in front, and the other arm bent back. The ball came from the setter in such a high speed, that the opponent couldn't follow. As the ball stopped in front of him, its spin made it stay in the air. He could feel the pressure of his teammates on his back. He was going to carry them through this. With his right hand, he used his power to smash the ball down onto the ground on the other side of the net. As he slowly fell from his jump, the light shone in front of him. The summit. It was a beautiful thing. It looked like a sunrise, when birds slowly awaken and begin their morning song. He landed softly on his feet, before darting across the court to his next position.

His thoughts were interrupted as the bell rang in his ears. It was only then that his gaze out the window was disturbed, and he collected his books, before putting them in his bag. Another school day over. Without waiting any longer than he had to, he rushed out of the classroom. Down the hall, and across to the club room. After a quick change, he left his bag in his locker, and headed to the hall. If he wanted to get to the national stage, skipping out on practise was not an option. As usual, he was the first in the hall. As he started his warm up, his teammates came wandering in, one by one. It was the start of the new season. This time, surely, they would rise above the rest of the teams in the same prefecture. This time, it would be them going to nationals.