The Tunnel of Life

Closer and closer. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting more and more clear. I feel my heart rocketing high into the sky. Overcome with joy. Maybe being here isn't so bad at all. Maybe when people say not to give up and to continue towards the light where good things happen, maybe it's actually not a bad idea. I got exercise and learned a lot getting here. Maybe, just maybe, I can get out of here. Longing to see the light again. When was the last time I saw the open sky? I've almost forgotten what it feels like to be bathed in light and warmth from the sun.

As I reach the light, it suddenly becomes dark. It's like a huge metal gate forces it's way down in front of me and blocks me. I feel my heart plummet to the ground. A path appears on the right and I see all my friends; those from school, those from abroad, those I know elsewhere from. Every single one of them. They're all cheering me on and beckoning me to follow them. Reimer, my horse, sticks by my side. Maybe there's hope to get out of here after all?

I follow after them, reaching out to them, but unable to grab a hold. Reimer is beside me, but at the same time he's distant. I can't rely on him to help me, but I have to make sure he's okay. The little hope I had left disappears, vanishing into thin air. All my friends in front of me are getting further and further away. I'm struggling to keep up with them as rocks attached to me by chains are holding me back, each with a word on them. School. Homework. Social life. Sleep. Barn chores. All of them seemingly getting heavier and heavier.

My friends are so far away I can't hear their cheering voices anymore. In fact, they're just a light dot in the far future. I know I can't stop, but I don't want to keep going either. It's like a never-ending dark tunnel. The light in front is so small that it seems impossible to go for. I stumble and fall countless times, and each time it gets more and more difficult to get up and keep moving.

I bolt upright, drenched in sweat. I look around my room. The curtains are down, yet a slight light is coming in from the sides as normal. My computer is on my desk, my school bag sitting on the floor next to my bed. Everything is in place where it has always been. Was it really just a dream?