TEN

James sucked in a breath of Blair as he shrugged and turned to exit the bathroom, Anita following suite. "He's good," he said eventually in a way that had neither Anita or Marry questioning him. Marty and Nick then left the bathroom as well, and found spots on the floor while Anita took the space on her bed and James took the bean bag in the corner of the room. "So, how's Midtown? Life outside of homeschooling? Honestly I'm glad I don't go, less drama and less annoying fake people."

"It's...school," Marty said. "Lost our last soccer game, but we have another one Tuesday so..."

"I might be able to play. It all depends on my ankle," Nick explained.

James made a face. "Right, you told me about that last night."

"Did he also tell you that he ran on it because he threw a water bottle at a bully?" Anita questioned.

"Nick!"

"Dammit, Ani."

And that's how the rest of the night went: the four catching up from their last hang out that was months ago until they were all falling asleep one by one, no one bothering to move from their spots.

+++

To put it simply: Nick was in some deep shit.

After leaving Anita's place once they woke up and ate breakfast, the girl forcing him to take pictures so she could post the final result of it on Snapchat (something she forgot to do the night before), Nick went home. On the way there, he didn't forget about his now white hair and put on a hat Anita had lenses him before getting home, no wet hairs sticking out. He was positive he was in the clear for the rest of the day as he made an excuse of needing alone time (which was true) and his parents being out most of the day to run errands. But then dinner came along and thinking that his parents wouldn't be home for a while, giving him time to make his own food, he went down stairs without the hat.

Dan and Sharon came home two minutes later in the middle of Nick's microwaveable Mac 'n Cheese cooking. Nick had no time to rush upstairs and grab Anita's hat, so he stood like a deer in headlights as his mother walked into the kitchen. The woman nearly dropped the groceries in her hands and let out a shocked yell at seeing her son's used to be black hair now white, the only sign of his hair being black were the roots. Dan quickly rushed in and stopped beside his wife. His eyes widened and jaw dropped.

Nick nervously chuckled and put up some jazz hands, "Surprise!" He exclaimed weakly. The microwave then beeped four times as an awkward, tense silence covered everyone.

"What did you do to your hair?!" Sharon yelled.

"I uh... I dyed- no, uh, James dyed it. Well, bleached it and then... Um," he paused. "Don't be mad?"

Sharon's eyebrows shot up so far Nick almost thought they were about to go into her hairline. "James? As in Rogers?" She huffed and moved to set the groceries on the counter. "I knew once he stepped into my house yesterday that he wasn't good anymore. What, coming here with dyed hair. I'm positive he's hanging out with Tony Stark too much. Did he peer pressure you into this? I swear-."

"Mom!" Nick shouted in shock. "He's not bad, he's just not perfect. James didn't peer pressure me into anything. He's not like that, you know that!"

"But he is bi," she said as if it was an explanation to everything.

Nick opened his mouth to speak again, to defend his friend, but his mother's words put him at a sudden loss for words for a moment. The disgust and anger she had in her tone made him freeze up. Instead of trying to come up with words to his mother, Nick looked to Dan with pleading eyes and waved an arm towards Sharon. "Dad! Talk some sense into her! She's overreacting."

Dan, who had started putting the food up, sighed. "Nick, I think your mom's reaction is called for. I understand that its your hair, but right now you live under our roof. You live by our rules, and when did we ever say you could dye your hair without permission? You didn't even talk to us before doing it," Dan told Nick. His words were then towards Sharon, "But, Sharon, just because James is bisexual doesn't mean he's a terrible person."

Nick scowled and got his mac 'n cheese out of the microwave. He quickly started mixing in the powdered cheese as he listened to his mom speak up again after making a 'humph' sound. "You should have talked to us about this first, Nicholas. We are going to have to ground you. Two months, no electronics unless school reasons. No parties, no hang outs."

"What?!" Nick spun around to look at his mom, nearly dropping his dinner.

"One month, two is a bit much." Dan quickly said. "You can use your phone when your alone and if its for school. School thing goes with your lap top, too. But no TV. Got it?"

If his scowl could grow, it did. Nick muttered a 'yes sir' before stuffing his mouth with mac 'n cheese, and tossed his phone to his dad as the man stuck his hand out for it. At the moment, he didn't care if it fell and cracked or not. He was pissed. Without casting a glance to either of his parents, he left the kitchen but was followed by Dan who grabbed his laptop before leaving to go downstairs again. Nick ate his food in bitter silence, not exactly knowing what to do since two of his most used electronic devices were gone.

***

A/N— I feel like my chapters are getting shorter?? Is that a good thing or a bad thing??? Idek but hopefully you guys still liked this. And you guys should really pay attention to how Nick's parents reacted, it'll be important later on. And if you want to know more about James Rogers, head over to m Tony fic Seeing Blind. It hasn't started yet, but James & his twin will be in it often so yeah. Sorry Peter wasn't in this chapter, but he might not be in the next few, just a warning. Their friendship will start soon, hopefully, because then that will lead to their relationship & that's about kind of when things gets angsty.

Hope you liked this chapter!! Please don't refrain from telling me your thoughts & voting! xx