Chapter Three

Lennon's POV

After dinner, we are escorted to the second floor where our rooms are located. I'm quiet, trying not to notice the whispers and stares as we follow the guard down the hallway, until someone links arms with me and lets out a tiny squeal.

"Oh, my goodness! You're so lucky! You get the first date with Prince Harry!" I look to my right and see Emaline grinning giddily, looking genuinely excited for me. I also noticed how she was the only one not glaring at me at dinner so it felt nice to have some support and a friend here amongst the snakes.

"I'm so nervous," I groan, biting the skin on the side of my nail, as I try to keep our conversation quiet. "I probably looked like such an idiot with my mouth full of bread and... Ugh, I'm such a loser."

"No, no! It was fine! You're fine. And I saw how you and Prince Harry kept making eye contact. It was really cute," she smiles as the ends of our dresses swipe across the floor, the fabrics bumping together as we walk side by side, and our heels make small, almost inaudible clicks.

"No, I just am a ravenous idiot and had salad dressing all over my face and he was telling me to wipe it off. No cuteness about that. Just the urge to crawl into a hole and die." She laughs at that, shaking her head as we beat the end of the hall. "I'm happy you're not planning my death like everyone else though."

"Oh, gosh, no. I couldn't care less. I heard free education for half a year and I jumped. Also, I have a massive crush on the foreign ambassador from France and I heard he is making an appearance at a dinner in a few weeks so fingers crossed."

I let out a sigh of relief, happy that I have confirmation that I'm not alone in this. "Thank god. I'm here for the schooling too. I was worried I was going to be that weird loner girl that takes pictures of the ceilings and plants all the time."

She laughs, shaking her head, and pats my arm. "No, don't worry. You seem like a really sweet girl unlike these other girls," she makes a side eye at a little group that consisted of two brunettes and an auburn haired one that kept looking back at us and giving us a stink face.

"The first brunette in the front is Serena Keaton from Highvale, the second brunette is Madelina Stuart from Crystalfaire, and the redhead is Genevieve Winningham from Mistbridge and so far I've deduced that they are the snobbiest human beings I've ever met." Emaline nods with fact as I try to give them a smile and only earn an eye roll.

"Maybe they're just having a bad day," I mumble, trying to make an excuse. "It has been a long travel to get here and it was a little rainy. Maybe they had a bad car ride. Or, the person helping them get dressed may have been rude. Mine wasn't particularly the nicest."

"Every single one of them?" Emaline raises an eyebrow at me, making me shrug. I have an horrid ability of giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and sometimes it didn't work in my favor.

"Miss. Clarke, Miss. Darrington, your rooms are these two. Miss. Darrington, your room is to the right. Miss. Clarke, to the left. If there is anything I can get for you or you need assistance, please ring the bell beside the closet and someone will be with you momentarily," The butler leading us says with a giant fake smile. "Please remember the rules. No going to the fourth floor. Now, I hope you enjoy your stay at Tarlington Palace and have a lovely rest of your night. Be mindful. There will be a wake up call at 6:00 in the morning to have you dressed and ready for breakfast and schooling. The rest of your ladies, follow me."