1

I've always loved travel. Experiencing all these hidden cultures. And being away from the people who claimed they loved me. Claimed. Even though I had scars, even though I have new  bruises every day. My parents hate me with all of their missing hearts. But in public, we're the photo-family of America. With all the, "We love each other." and, "We go hiking every weekend." crap. But the only time I'm actually out of the house is when I'm at some stupid gathering my parents force me to go to.
My school life isn't all too great either. I'm a straight C-student with a perfect tardy streak. The teachers try to reach me, but are only met with my cruel sarcasm. I had no real friends, I couldn't trust anyone. I've never had a crush on anyone. And I'm pretty sure I'm the only 16-year-old that's never had a sleepover.
One day, after my parents dropped me off at school, I decided to ditch. Of course, my parents would hear from the school that I had unexcused absences from all my classes, but that's only for unexcused absences. My school was pretty loose when it came to attendance, so I hoped I could easily call myself in sick without my parents ever finding out. I hid in a clump of trees next to the building and dialed the school's number into my broken flip phone.
Ring, ring, ring, "Hello, thank you for calling Centra High. My name is Ms. Tenny. How may I help you?"
I cleared my throat and tried to impersonate my mother, "Good morning, Ms. Tenny. I was just calling my daughter, Fawna, in sick."
"Yes ma'am. I have excused all absences for her classes today."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome, Mrs. Pines. Buh-bye!" Click
   I sighed a huge breath of relief. It worked! I can't believe it actually worked! I thought giddily as I strolled toward the small town near the school. Somewhere along the way, I took a detour into the woods. I stopped to sketch a sleeping fox and a grazing doe. The weather was beautiful and the fresh air was reviving.
   I had never actually been to the town. I heard many stories about it, though. It was a very popular after school hangout. It was small and bright and cute. Every building was painted with a pastel color. There were so many little stores and an ice cream parlor. And it didn't even have that many people in it. First stop, I think as my stomach growls, the diner!
I honestly didn't know what to expect. I've never been to a diner nor have I ever seen a tv show with one in it. My parents keep me too occupied during my free time. It was an interesting experience to see all the different people. From a gangbanger to a little girl who's mom worked at the diner. Even though it wasn't the most sanitary place, the food was fantastic, and pretty cheap too.
   After I ate, I went to sketch the graffiti in an alleyway. It was just after a good ten minutes that I felt air against the back of my neck. I froze. Who the hell? I think. I turned my head to see a guy about my age sitting on a long forgotten dumpster. He was wearing a leather jacket with ripped jeans and a beanie. His messy hair was jet black and his skin was pale. He had piercings and a tattoo on his hand, that I guessed crawled up his strong arms.
   "I know I'm beautiful and all but staring is rude, nonetheless."
   Flustered I reply, "S-sorry I, uh, I-"
He cut me off, "It's okay. I see you enjoy my wall art," he nods at my sketchbook, "You been drawing a while? "
"Y-yeah....." I replied, standing up and looking at him, "What's it to you?"
   He puts his hands up in a mock surrender, "Woah, I didn't know I was dealing with a badass here. I just wanted to complement," He sticks his hand out, "I'm Zachary, by the way."
I returned the gesture with no intention of saying my name, "Nice to meet you."
"And you are...?"
"Not giving you my name."
He smirked and said sarcastically, "Ahhh, mysterious and a badass. Impressive. Lemme guess, you're that MMA girl that always seems to have a black eye. Fawna, was it?"