19. What hurts the most

I could still hear Hermes' voice if he waa just standing next to me. My body was shaking with so much fear. It's kind of ironic because I had never felt like this before and who would've thought that a phone can change everything. Hermes arranged my departure. Sinabi ko lang kung nasaan ako at pagkatapos noon ay sinabi niyang darating ang chopper para sunduin ako. My heart was beating slow. I could remember the way his voice sounded. Hindi ko madetermine but I know that he means bad. I swallowed hard. Napakahabang paghihintay ang nangyayari sa akin. I didn't had the decency to say goodbye to Bathseeba because all I could think about was the fact that my mother needs me and I.would drop everything just to be with her at this moment.

The queen needs her pawns and I'll move heaven and earth just to be with her. Hindi naman nagtagal ay dumating na ang chopper. Mula sa chopper ay bumaba si Joshua -- ang personal assistant ni Hermes. Sinalubong niya ako. Ibinigay ko ang susi ng kotse ko sa kanya at sinabi ang address kung saan niya makukuha ang sasakyan. Matapos iyon ay ako ang sumakay sa chopper. Malakas ang kaba ko.  I was thinking about my mom. I sighed. I closed my eyes. Naalala ko  ang mga ngiti ni Mama. Ngiti niya palang noon nakakatanggal pagod. I remember our Saturday picnics. I sighed again. I opened my eyes. Hindi talaga ako mapapakali hangga't hindi ko nakikita si Mama. I was wishing for her to be okay. Na kahit ganoon ang boses ni Hermes ay maayos ang lahat ---that he waa just over acting and things will be okay.

Twenty minutes later, bumababa na ang chopper sa isang helipad. Nang makapwesto ay bumaba na rin ako. Sinalubong ako ng mga tauhan ni Papa. All of them were wearing matching suites and ties. The cold air greeted my body. It only made me shook even more. Hindi ko alam kung nasaan kami. Pero nang makapasok sa loob ay doon ko napagtanto kung nasaan kami. Iy wasn't one of the Consunji Empires Building. I was inside a hospital. I saw one of the tags on the nurse's name plate. I was in the Varres Medical City. I swallowed hard. Habang tumatagal ay lalong lumalaki ang takot ko.

A Consunji doesn't fear anything  but right now thinking about the mosy important person in my life.makes me fear everything. I took a deep breath and tried calming down my nerves. Sumakay kami sa elevator at saka naghintay na naman. As the minutes passed by, my heart is slowing down. Finally the elevator opened. Agad akong lumabas at sinundan ang mga body guards ni Papa. I was approaching the end of the corridor when  I saw Gianna sitting on one of the waiting chairs. She was holding a rosary. Nakatungo siya at parang umiiyak. She looked up and she saw me. She tried smiling but a tear fell down her cheeks.

"Ares..." She called my name. Napansin ko si Papa na nakatayo. Katabi niya si Aunt Laide. She was holding Papa's hand as he looks on the window. Kinabahan ako. I was swallowing hard.

"Papa..." I called him. Tumingin siya sa akin. I couldn't bear that look on his face. Nilagpasan ko si Papa at pumasok ako sa loob. In there I saw Mama lying on the bed. My mouth parted. Her face was full of bruises. Nakabenda ang ulo niya. I couldn't even tell if she is awake or asleep.

"M-mama..." I muttered. Noon humarap si Hermes na nakatingin lamang sa bintana. Hera was holding mama's hand like her life depended on it. She was crying. I could see the amount of pain in her face. She extended her hand. Pinalalapit niya ako sa kanya and I did. I held her hand. May pumasok na dalawang nurse at isang doctor.sa loob ng room ni Mama. I didn't mind them. I was just looking at my mother.

Her bent down a bit. My world is crushing down. "Mama, Ares is here." Just like that, Mama smiled. Halos mawarak ang puso ko. Hirap na siyang ngumiti. Binitiwan niya ang kamay ni Hera at umaktong inaabot niya ang kamay ko. I took her hand. Titig na titig ako sa mukha ni Mama. That smile on her face - it looks like she was putting in so much effort. Maya-maya ay naramdaman ko ang daliri niya na parang may iginuguhit sa palad ko. Nag-unahan ang mga luha ko nang maintindihan ko kung ano iyon. She used to draw that on my palm back when I was a kid.