Chapter 5

“Open the door, Lexie.” I said, pounding on her door for the twentieth time.

“Go away.” She said, her voice muffled by the door.

“Not until you open the door.”

“No!” She said stubbornly.

“Lexie!”

“Carter!” She said in the same tone, making me groan in frustration.

“Open the door!”

“You can’t make me.”

“You sound like a five year old.”

“Do I sound like I care?”

“Open the door!” I shouted.

“No! Go away.”

“This is my house! Open the door!”

She paused for a moment.  “You do realize that it’s been open this whole time, right?”  I stared at the door in confusion and opened the door, feeling stupid.  I did a double take when I was her appearance; her eyes were red, like she’d been crying.

“What’s-”

“Nothing.  Go away.” She said, and I left in confusion.

***

The next week was busy; I had rehearsals everyday, but since it was thanksgiving I had the day off.  Lexie had been acting strangely, she acted fake happy about everything.

“I’m going.” She informed us, fidgeting with her hands. 

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“My house.” She said, leaving quickly.

“I’m following her.” I told Liz.

“No you aren’t” She said, shaking her head.

“I’ve gotta, she’s been acting weird.” I said, leaving and quickly getting behind Lexie’s car.  About ten minutes later, she pulled up to a nice sized house and got out.

“What are you doing here?” She hissed at me.

“I wanted to find out why you were acting so weird.”

“Get out of here!”

“No, I-” I was cut off by the door opening.

“Who’s this, Alexis? Your boyfriend?” A guy a few years older than me sneered at her.  He looked like a male version of Lexie, but way taller.

“No, he followed me.” She whispered.

“You are so stupid, how do you not realize someone is following you?” He said in a terrible tone. I clenched my jaw in anger, who was this jerk?

“Who is that?” I whispered to her.  She looked on the verge of tears.

“My brother, Aaron.” She whispered back. 

“Unfortunately.” He grumbled.

“Where’s mom?” She asked.

“In the kitchen.” He snapped.

“Please go home.” She pleaded with me and I shook my head.  There was no way I was leaving her alone with her family, especially if they were as bad as Aaron.  She sighed and walked in the house, staring at the ground as she walked past Aaron.

“Hey, man.” He said, stopping me when I walked past him.  “I feel bad for you, being stuck with Alexis and all.” He said and I just shook my head at him.  This guy was unbelievable.  When I walked in, I wanted to hug her; she looked so upset, standing in front of an older man as he was yelling something at her. I’m guessing he’s her father

“You are useless.  I don’t know who would have hired you, but they made a mistake.  They should have hired someone smart and capable, not you.”

“She’s the best assistant I’ve ever had, actually.” I told him, standing behind her and crossing my arms.

“It’s fine, Carter.  Drop it, please.” She sighed.  “I’m going to go see mom.” She said, walking to the kitchen.  “Mommy!” She cried happily, running into her mom’s arms and crying.

“Shh, baby.  I know.” He mom said soothingly and rubbing Lexie’s back.  “Oh! Who’s this?” She asked in surprise when she saw me.

“This is Carter, mom.” Lexie said and her mom shook my head.

“I’m Erica; it’s nice to meet you.” She said, smiling at me.

“Erica!” The guy who had been yelling at Lexie shouted from the other room.

“Yes, Nathan?”

“Where’s our food?” He growled.

“It’s coming dear.” She stammered, running out of the kitchen with a bowl.

“Please leave.” Lexie whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks.  I said nothing as I stepped forward and wrapped her in what I hoped was a loving hug.

************************************************************************************************************************************************ Sorry this is short.  I wanted to get something up, because I’m going out of town for about nine-ish days.  Please Vomment, thanks! =)