13|MEET THE FAMILY

Clara sat on top of the van Clint had driven to the spot they were supposed to meet Ally, Bucky and Steve. It was meant to be lowkey and quiet, enough to shield them from the mayhem they were causing. It wasn't until Valerie joined them did Clara realize the severity of it all. It was one side against the other, and no matter what side Ally was on, Clara was destined to be on that side too. Scott Lang snored peacefully in the van as Clint cleaned the tips of his arrows beside him.

Valerie stood from her spot on the ground, insisting she be the lookout. Clint had told the young agent there was no need but Valerie wouldn't budge. She looked up at Clara, finding her way to the hood of the car before stepping on the window to join her. Clara's heart thumped so hard that she swore it was audible, their eyes had met and Valerie smiled. It was only a small smile, but it was enough to make Clara go weak at the knees.

"Hey," Valerie greeted softly. "You look tired."

"Just getting impatient," Clara responded. "I haven't seen Ally in forever."

"She'll be here soon."

"I know," Clara nodded. "I missed her a ton."

"I know." Valerie repeated.

Clara looked down at her hands. "Valerie, can I ask you something?"

"Can't promise I'll answer it."

"Why are you really called Agent Runaway?" Clara questioned.

Valerie's eyebrows furrowed. "Because every training camp I went to I ran–"

"No I know that story," Clara stopped her. "How'd you get there?"

Valerie paused for a moment, surprised at her question. No one had asked Valerie that question to the point where she'd actually answer. She wanted to answer, she knew Clara would be so openly understanding. She looked for words to piece together but was silent for much longer than she planned. "They found me on the street."

Clara blinked. "You don't have to tell me Val..."

"I want to," Valerie looked at her. "They found me on the street when I was nine, I think it was nine at least. Germany. I was born in Germany. My parents' names were Lena and Klaus VanDyke but that's most of the information Natasha could find on them. They were HYDRA agents or fanatics I guess you could say," she bit her lip. "I was trained to be an agent ever since I could walk, as if I was programmed like a computer to only want to do one thing. Eventually they were killed off just like any other exposed HYDRA agent. It wasn't long until I was found and they put me through constructive therapy. Was I going to be like my parents? Should they trust me? Was I a threat? I think Natasha was the only one who suggested I be put into programs with others but I clearly messed that up by constantly running away. I kept running away to find answers Clara. I don't think I loved my parents, even as a child. They are dedicated to an evil cause instead of me, but I wanted answers. When Natasha told me all she could find, that's when I started being top of my classes and beyond any training."

Clara focused on Valerie intensely, her eyes never moving from Valerie's. "I didn't know that."

"Not many do but that isn't your fault," she insisted. "It just made me a little bit too strong."

"You don't always have to be strong," Clara told her with sad eyes. "I think being strong might be every heroes weakness."

"I'm not a hero Clara."

"You saved Ally's life when Pierce held her hostage," Clara quickly said. "You're my hero."

Valerie breathed in deeply. Clara was unfailingly kind, she always put others first and herself last. Valerie's admiration for Clara was deep seated and long lasting. It was impossible to hide that fact anymore. "You're different, you know that right?"

"I've figured it out by now," Clara laughed softly. "So are you."

"I know that as well," Valerie tucked a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear. "But I think I'm alright with that."

Valerie unexpectedly reached out and placed her hand on Clara's cheek. Clara's skin tingled where she touched her and her heart started to beat erratically. There were butterflies...no, lions - in her chest, but it felt good. Valerie had finally admitted to herself what she knew all along, but was too afraid to admit it: she liked Clara. A lot. And she wanted to be with her in any kind of way.

"Valerie..."

"Just stop talking for once." Valerie exhaled before pressing her lips firmly on Clara's. She kissed her and the world fell away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. Clara could feel the beating of her heart against her chest. Valerie pulled away, her eyes still closed and her lips still parted.

Clara opened her mouth, her cheeks flushed. "So what does that mean?"

"I don't know," Valerie responded honestly. "But wherever you are, I want to be there too."

A car pulled away in the terminal, indicating that Ally, Steve, Sam and Bucky had arrived. The two girls jumped off the roof of the car, meeting Wanda and Clint on the ground. The second Ally got out of the automobile, Clara sprinted to her. Ally's embrace was warm, and her strong arms seemed to be very protective when they wrapped around Clara's smaller body. "I missed you so much," Clara said into Ally's neck. "I was so worried you'd never come back."

"I'm right here kid," Ally rubbed Clara's back before pulling away. "Clara, this is Bucky."

Clara looked at the man she had heard everything about. He smiled at her shyly, lifting his chin higher. In another time, Bucky was the most important thing to Ally. Without thinking, Clara extended her hand. "Pleased to meet you sir."

He took her hand almost as fast. "I've heard lots about you Clara."

"I'm right here kid," Ally rubbed Clara's back before pulling away

"I'm right here kid," Ally rubbed Clara's back before pulling away. "Clara, this is Bucky."