It's Simple, Sorta (T.H.)

Start from the beginning

"I love it," you continue to stare at the place in awe as you walk towards it. Todd watches you from the entrance in his own awe. His Noise ends up saying afterwards PRETTY and LUCKY and WOW repeatedly. "Don't just stand there, I'm hungry!"

He laughs again and walks towards you. His hand reaches into the basket, pulling out the blanket to hang to you. In the most couple-y way possible, you and Todd place the checkered blanket down and sit across from each other on it. Todd breaks into another smile, then reaches over to grab the picnic basket he set down.

"Here is the main course," Todd reaches into the basket and takes out a plate full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Naturally, you lick your lips in anticipation. They look so good. "For drinks, we have water, meh personal favorite." A small laugh escapes his mouth, making you laugh as well. "And dessert, strawberries covered in cocoa. I have to thank Viola for introducing me to them yesterday, they are so good."

Your boyfriend watches you immediately dig into the sandwiches. He grins from ear to ear as he watches you pull off the edges of crust and munch into the food.

"Darlin'," Todd says after biting into his own sandwich. You look up from yours, not noticing the jelly on the corner of your mouth. He takes the opportunity to rub his thumb along your mouth and get rid of the jelly. Of course, knowing Todd, he loves to do the cliché couple things. It makes him happy.

You and Todd continue to eat sandwiches, drink water, and softly talk to one another about mindless things. At one point, you admit how you would like to live on the country side of town. Todd says he wants another dog. Then he would name him Manchee Jr. That would be so cute.

"Can I have a cocoa strawberry, Toddy?" you would usually use his nickname, but Todd has the dessert hidden in the basket with part of his body laying on top of it. Almost like he is purposely hiding the sweet treat from you. How dare he.

He sighs and you can see his Noise go from happy to nervous. It shouts things from OH NO to READ READ READ. "Um, so, before I give you a strawberry, yer have to promis me something." You nod your head at Todd and he takes a deep breath. "Can—can yer teach me how to reed?" OH NO OH NO OH NO.

"I'd love to, Toddy."

THANK GOD. Todd smiles back at you, then digs into the picnic basket to reveal a kid's book. "I found this last week, and I'm tired of not being able to reed simple words. It is hard enough to reed my name. Yer can have a strawberry after we get through the first page."

"Sounds like a deal to me." You take the book from Todd's hands and sit a lot closer to him. His Noise is freaking out now. LOVE HER and READ and ADORABLE.

Todd told you that Mayor Prentiss tried to shove words into his head and control other men. Those were dark times for him.

For the next ten minutes, you take precious time with Todd to read and reread the first page and title. When he felt content with the words on the page, he reaches into the basket and hands you a strawberry. It truly looks and smells delicious. Even better, it tastes delicious. You will have to thank Viola for this creation too.

"So yer mean to tell meh that this sentence says 'The duck ate the grape' and this one says 'and it tasted great'?" Todd asks you for the third time, still confused at the words in front of him. You keep nodding your head at him. DUCK CONFUSED.

You place the end bit of the strawberry in a pile of trash you and Todd collected. "You see the word duck? In order to read it smoothly, you need to know what kind of sounds the letter makes. The D in duck makes a duh sound. The U makes a uh sound. Then C and K combine to make a kah. Put it together to create the word duck!" Todd looks back down at the book and tries the tactic you just showed him, and it works. The word great came flying out of his mouth, then grape. Grape did need a little extra work, but he got the concept.

"I deserve a strawberry after that," Todd says, closing the small picture book and placing it back into the basket. You take a strawberry from the container for Todd, but bring it up to his own lips. He catches on quickly, understanding that you would be feeding him. YUM STRAWBERRY CUTE.

"Let's make this a weekly thing. I enjoy reading and eating lunch with you."

"Definitely," Todd agrees, making sure to eat the rest of the strawberry before talking again. He knows how much you hate it when he does that. "As long as one of us makes strawberries dipped in cocoa, I'm all fer it."

Hello readers :0

If you have made it this far, how are you doing?

The official poster and trailer has been released for this movie! How exciting!

I dunno if I will ever get back into this book series as heavily as I was, because in order to write fanfiction for this story I have to be very specific with my words and how I write them (aka misspelling Todd's words, the noise, and stuff like that)

This is the only ever one shot I ever wrote for this book, so enjoy it! Reread the stories!

Thank you for being a fan of the chaos walking series and reading my book :)