I pounded my fist on the table.  Robert and Christian looked at me.  I ignored their stares.

"Jeez," the device continued, "calm down. I'm just saying that I am not the most reliable phone in the world.  My cell coverage is shoddy.  I sometimes don't notify you when something comes in.  Look, I am just saying that you might want to check just in case Dave, you know, sends you a text that repairs the relationship.  But, hey, it's your choice."

My hand eased out.  The thuds of my heart beats swirled around my hearing.  Then, rationality settled in and my arms folded again.

"If I ever go to reach for that phone," I said to the guys, "Slap me."

Robert's eyes widened as he swallowed his last bite.  "Slap you?"

"That's what I said."

I gazed out into the crowd of diners, trying to find some distraction from my phone's taunts and jeers.  I had to prove to myself that I was not some desperate girl who's world revolved around one guy.

Amongst the chatter and the clatter, I recognized a face.  There, across the room, stood a tall man with a defined chin.  He strummed a ukulele and his mouth held a few notes.  From the expressions of the others, I judged that what he was making wasn't music, but noise.

A girl sat next to him.  She let a curtain of brown fall over her pale face.  I could tell by her stiff posture, she wanted to stay anywhere else but there.

I stood up to confront the man and his miserable date. "I'm going the bathroom," I told Robert and Christian.

"But," Rob protested, "The bathroom's the other way."

I turned back and smiled down on him.  "There are bathrooms everywhere, Rob."

"But, that one's closer."

I silenced him with a wave of my hand and went to finish my mission. 

With elongated strides, I sauntered up to the moronic individual.  "Well, well," said I, "just my luck I get to met the David F. Ryan once again."

The man with ukulele stopped his song.  His face turned to surprise for a moment as he tried to access his recollection, but then it turned to arrogant amusement.

"Well, well," he answered back, "isn't it Little Miss Angel Clark?"

"Divinity Claire."

"Uh, yeah," he fumbled for a moment, "Right.  I was close.  I knew it was all church-y and all."

"Yeah, sure," I placed my attention on his date, "Girl, I don't know who you are, but, I would run miles from this guy.  He is a total jerk who has no respect for women."

The woman looked up.  Her mortified blush still lingered on her cheeks.  "Excuse me, do I know you?"

Her question took be aback.  I brushed a strand from my face and gave a nervous laugh in order to buy time.  "No you don't, ma'am," her face darkened the address, Northern did not like normal points of pleasantries, "I just know him.  And he brought me on a date, just like you are right now-"

Her face turned even redder.  "A date!" she choked out, "No, surely, I misheard you.  He's my brother!"

And in turn, I felt the rush of humiliation sway beneath me.  "Oh, sorry I assume- yeah, I'll just leave."

I spun around and started to go on my way.  From behind I heard, "David, why the hell is it that whenever we go we run into jilted ex?  What do you do this girls?"

"I am just that great of a lover they need make it a point."

"You're a pig sometimes, you know that?"