"Yes, I know," said I with a strained voice, "I did my make up without even looking."

"It's not that-" Christian began as I brushed past him, "It's just that you look-"

"Nervous," Robert finished, "Are you sure everything's alright?"

I pretended to ignore them.  Of course nothing was alright, but I did not want to tell them so.

Navy Pier appeared before me.  The people bustled to and fro just like the day I waited for David F. Ryan to appear.  The same seed of anxiety blossomed within my heart.

My hands caressed the outline of my phone, almost as if they wanted to will to glide through the fabric into my palm.  I knew that I should text Dave and apologize, but I couldn't.  I knew what that action would do to me.  The minutes with Christian and Robert would be stained with myself pacing back and forth, waiting for a reply.  I could not put them through that without an explanation.

That was I told myself, but in the end, I pulled my phone from my pocket.  The message I sent Dave held a simple, "Sorry."

My group and I boarded the Ferris wheel.  We rose higher and higher till we could see a clear view of Chicago.  Robert talked about the architecture, marine life in the Great Lakes, and just about any nerdy thing that crossed his mind, from comic books to baseball stats.

My mind turned his prattle out.  I could not force a smile and listen at the same time.  There was too much emotional turmoil.  I glanced at my phone in constant checks.  He still had not gotten back to me.

"Divy, what do you want?" Christian's voice caused my head to rise from the cellular device.  We stood at some lucky vendor's window.

"Chocolate."  I checked my phone again.

"Chocolate?  Chocolate what?"

"Chocolate ice cream."

A deep laughed rang from Christian.  A shiver ran up my spine.  I knew I had made some mistake.

"Divy, oh Divy, we are a hot dog hut.  Not an ice cream shop."

"Oh."  My face heated, "I'll just have what you are having."

Christian handed Robert a hot dog before he took a seat.  Rob's face brightened.  "Oh, boy.  I've always wanted to try a Chicago hot dog."

Christian winked at him.  "You're easy to please.  Aren't you?"

Robert moved his red scarf away from his face in order to take a bite.  With a full mouth, he said, "Yup."

I looked up from my phone and made it an internal decision to not check for another hour.  I placed the phone on the table and folded my arms.

The phone sat there masking itself as an inanimate object.  One that did not have a mind or a voice.  However, I knew better.  It called for me to check my messages.  "Just a peek," it said, "Just a peek.  Dave may have sent something."

"You would have vibrated if he texted," I mumbled.

"Divy, are you mumbling to yourself?" Christian asked.  He turned and waited for my answer.  A smudge of mustard lined his chin.

"Nope.  Not all at all."

"Uh huh."  Christian went back to enjoying his hot dog.

My phone continued to taunt me.  It's voice over the clatter of the food court.  "You know, I don't always vibrate when you are waiting for that message.  Like that time when you were suppose to pick up Maggie and she said she would text you when you were needed.  But, I did not tell you when her message came.  Oh, and it was so funny.  Did she not wait two hours in the pouring rain?  Oh, and the she took the bus at the end."