The Day the Sun Died

The day the sun died was seen by all.

Whether you watched in agony as the ochre turned to crimson, flooding the entire sky, or you awoke to darkness and there you stayed.

Our planet was dying. I knew that much as I slipped out onto the dark street. I noted all of the chaos, but saw only him.

He didn't seem frightened or happy. He looked fatally resigned as the moon faded it's last bit of life onto his beautiful face.

His gaze met mine and I was tethered.

Our lives were ending tonight. Especially if science had anything to say about it. Magnetic feilds, gravity, oxygen, tides. We were falling into a catostrophic event, but all I could think about was the fact that I had never had the courage to say how I really felt about my best friend.

It was almost pitch black when I felt his warm hand gravitate towards mine.

"I have one night to make up for all of the countless times I screwed up and didn't tell you how I felt about you," He admitted effortlessly.

I felt my heart jump inside my rib cage. My breathing ragged from the chill and his words.  I wondered if my oxygen was already running out.

"-And I have one night to tell you that I have dreamt of you saying that to me since we were twelve," I explained and he actually laughed. A full throw-your-head-back laugh with a dazzling smile.

Laughing in this catastrophe because why not? Why not reach the end in the most breathtaking possible way we could?

"Our atmosphere is literally falling apart but I can't think of anything I'd rather do right now but finally kiss you," He confessed as his hands glossed over my cheekbones and found their way into my hair.

I ached for that too. For one minute, I wanted the world not to be crumbling down all around me. I just wanted it to be us.

"Then do it," I breathed.

Then he was there and crashing into me like the tides and the sand. I couldn't think about anything but him. The way his lips seared like the sun. The way my heart burned liked the stars.

Instead, he was restoring the entire solar sytem inside me.

I pressed myself closer to him. He ran his hands deeper through my hair. We were finally gravitating towards each other. He was replacing the sun and I the moon.

One not surviving without the other.

Maybe everyone would say that I was making it harder for myself in the end. Maybe love before death was supposed to be like a black hole. Suffocating and then nothing.

All I know is that as the world grew colder and the darkness now fully overwhelmed us. The moonless night began to pierce me with a bone chilling cold.

Yet, even though others had spoken of seeing the sun die, cradled in his arms, I still felt the warmth of it.