"What?!" he snapped unintentionally, turning around with an irritated expression. There were already bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep.

Akina didn't react to it, however. "Are you alright?"

"Well, of course I am! Why wouldn't I be?! At last I'm free from looking after that chick!"

"Yet, you don't seem happy about it."

"I'm very happy, in case you haven't noticed!"

"Makuu, you don't have to hide it from me. I know you, in case you forgot we've known each other since we were hatchlings."

"....." She had him there.

"What's wrong?"

Rather reluctantly, he spoke. "...Why did he do this to me?"

"What?"

"Simba. If he was going to take him away all along, then why did he let me hatch the egg and get attached to the chick in the first place?" he said bitterly. "It would have been better if he gave it to Bakshi from the start."

"You made a promise to that bird, and he was aware of that."

"And he was also aware I wouldn't be able to fulfill the one about teaching him how to fly as well." Makuu sighed sadly. "I think it would have been best if he had given it to Bakshi after all."

That did make her frown. "How can you say that?"

"He might not live among us anymore, but I've kept tabs on him..." against his better judgment, he blushed when Akina gave him an 'I knew it' stare. "...What? I have to make sure he doesn't make me look bad." He regained his composure. "Anyway, I've heard of how the other birds treat him. They don't want him near, and no matter how hard he tries he just can't get used to their ways. He learned too much from us... What if he never adapts...?"

"If you are so worried about him, why don't we go see him?"

He scoffed. "I seriously doubt he wants to see me of all animals again."

"Why? You were his father growing up."

"I was, but after what happened I don't think he sees me as such anymore. Besides, considering he didn't say a word to me when I dropped him off, I think that just confirms it."

Feeling compassion for her mate, Akina swam closer and rubbed her head against his in a show of affection. He didn't push her away, but instead accepted it. There were not many moments when they could be affectionate on this level.

"Just a favor: don't tell the others about this. I have an image to maintain."

Akina rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say."

XXXXX

Today, Bakshi called all of the flock's fledglings to the first of some special lesson: flying lessons.

This included Kitwana too, since he would soon be old enough to fly, even though he was hesitant to attend at all, since Mshale was there. However, flying was something birds did, so he really had no other choice to attend.

Traditionally, the flying lessons were given to fledglings underneath the old tree next to the water hole, from which they would eventually jump off in the Dege Kwanza Ceremony, also known as the First Flight.

"I'm very nervous!" Dalila said as they made their way to the tree.

"I guess." Kitwana said, devoid of any emotion.

"Don't worry, you'll do fine." She assured him, though she was saddened he didn't seem to like the idea of flying. Then again, he was still depressed over learning what he really was, and that the animal he thought his father really wasn't.