Erik said,"Hey."

  I replied,"Hey, Erik. How..How are you?"

  Erik stuck his hands in his pockets and smiled at me saying,"Fine. I just wanted to check on you. See if you were all right after yesterday."

  I sent Erik my best smile and said,"Yeah. I'm great."

  Erik's smile grew, and he said,"That's good. Really good. I don't know why, but I just thought you might need some company. I will leave you alone, then."

  I nodded and Erik turned, but I grabbed his arm. Erik looked back at me, and I dropped his arm immediately.

  Erik said,"What? You need to tell me something?"

  I admitted to Erik,"I need company."

  Erik nodded, and I led him inside, though I just hoped and prayed that Tyler wouldn't return.
  Erik noticed the dishes and grabbed a rag almost immediately. He began to dry the dishes. Confused, I just gazed at him.

  He said,"What? It would be rude of me not to help."

  I smiled at Erik, but as he dried the dishes, I asked him,"Erik, why did you help me yesterday?"

  Erik looked me in the eyes and said,"Because I didn't like the way he was treating you. No woman should be treated that way, no matter who she is with."

  I looked down at the dishes, then back at Erik saying,"Tyler's never treated me like the way you talk about. How do I get that?"

  Erik sent me sympathetic eyes and said to me,"You can get that by leaving. I take it the only reason you haven't is because you're afraid or you just can't. Am I wrong?"

  I shook my head, and Erik looked like he was in thought, so I just put up the dishes.

  Erik asked me,"Where is Tyler, by the way?"

  I replied,"He went on a date. He told me I had to have the dishes done by the time he got back."

  "And you still did the dishes?"

  I nodded and admitted to Erik,"Yes, because I don't want him to hit me. I can't stop him because I don't have the strength to. I've tried, but he always says stuff to me to..to belittle me. Make me feel like I'm nothing. Most of the time, I believe it. I believe it, because I've had to hear it for so long."

  Erik put his hand over mine and explained to me,"He shouldn't make you feel that way. No one should. Your arm. He did that, too?"

  I nodded, and Erik lifted my arm, examining it.

  Erik said,"We're not done with this conversation, but I'm going to find a way to get you out of this."

  I looked at Erik and said,"No. No. I don't want you to take care of it. You care for me, Erik. I truly appreciate that very much, but Tyler is dangerous."

  Erik took my hand and squeezed it saying,"You don't have to worry about that or me. I'll be fine. I can handle myself just fine. I'll always care for you. You don't deserve this. Here."

  Erik gave me his phone, and I looked down to see I had to put my number in it. I did it slowly, but I hesitated in giving Erik back his phone.

  Erik noticed and asked me,"Something on my screen?"

  I shook my head and admitted to Erik,"I can't..I want to..Tyler won't let me talk to any guys. He'll know, and he'll get upset. Erik, I really need a friend, but I'm afraid it'll only end up in me getting hurt."

  Erik made me look at him and said,"Well, you have one in me. I'll still give you my number, just in case you need me. You can't get through this on your own. You've tried, but you need me. I'm willing to give you a hand."

  I smiled at Erik, until I heard Tyler outside. I heard the woman, too, but then I looked at Erik.

  I gave Erik back his phone, and he quickly put his number in my own.

  He kissed my cheek and said,"If you need me, remember to call or text me, okay?"

  I nodded and thanked Erik, before I led him to the side door. (I don't think there's more than one door in apartments, but let's just imagine there is.)
  Erik left quickly, and I closed the door. When Tyler came in, he was on the girl, and I just headed to my room.

  I realized I had not eaten, due to the sound of my stomach growling. I snuck into the kitchen and grabbed some cereal before I texted Erik. I did that, until I went to sleep.