9-1

A/N: First of all, thank you for all your comments and votes! I am utterly happy this story has many fans! Second of all, I am sorry for the long hiatus. I did not manage to work on this fic during the Open Novella Contest. BUT I am proud to say it paid off: "Branches - Two Fates. One Tale" actually is a finalist for the Grand Prize of the contest! Whoop, whoop!^^

What else is new? I posted a tribute for Mayura's birthday playing in the context of this very fic. So if you want to learn more about this world, you should check out "About Crystals and Stars - One-shots".

Okay, now I leave you to have, hopefully, fun reading! ;)

9

Furiously, her chest heaved up and down in a helpless attempt to fill her lungs with air. Her body swayed to the side. Mayura tried to keep her focus on his movements. Her hands, slick with sweat, were grabbing tightly onto the solid handle between her fingers.

If he'd thrust back now, she would fall. And so she advanced again, pushing her body into his direction.

She rose the sword and swung it towards Shimon.

He blocked the blow. The blade carved into the branch he held.

She wanted to withdraw but the sword stuck in the wood did not give in immediately and so she stumbled, when she finally retrieved the weapon.

'Game over,' she thought while stumbling backwards, knowing exactly what would happen. In the very same moment she saw Shimon twisting the branch to the side and hitting the sword above its hilt.

With a clatter the sword fell to the ground, twisted out of her grip. Mayura fell back on her buttocks with a yelp.

"You've improved," Shimon commented as if he had not just knocked her off her feet with something simple as a branch.

Mayura mustered him from head to toe. While her own stamina was drained and she was on her last legs, he had not even broken out in sweat. She huffed bitterly, "It's not a real improvement, considering I advanced from zero to... something."

"Don't stress yourself out. Swordsmanship isn't learned in a few days and I am years ahead of you. All you need to have is the resolve to push yourself," Shimon bowed down to retrieve the sword lying on the ground. "However, if you don't, you will fail."

The metal hissed and clicked as he sheathed the sword upon his grave words. He always was very serious, wasn't he?

Interested she raised her eyebrows and inquired, "How many years did you learn?"

"I've started since I was a small boy but with twelve I had found a master." A small smile adorned the corners of his lips. He must have been quite taken with his master. Although that was understandable. The way Shimon fought was enough proof of an effective training.

"Your moves are pretty impressive," she said while massaging a sore spot on her arm. Being a princess, she'd never had to lift a finger to get something. These last days of physical work were taking a toll on her muscles. Constantly something ached, whether it was her arms, her legs or her back.

Shimon stretched his hand out for her. "I am sure you will be able to move more swiftly in no time."

"Thanks," she said while helping him to pull her body to her feet. She was not so sure about herself but was glad to accept his reassuring words.

He grabbed the bamboo pipe they used for water and looked at it with a frown. "Seems like I have to go fetch some water. Wait here. I'll be quick."

Mayura nodded at him and saw his retrieving figure disappear into the woods.

Resolve, huh?

They had been training for days and still she felt only small improvement. It was hard to keep up resolve when having to face more failures than gains.