as lip and i were being escorted to the courtroom, someone was shouting.

"bullshit! bullshit! bullshit! motherfucking asshole son of a bitch!" the guy shouted as we were brought over to the room with a judge.

"phillip ronan gallagher and melanie loretta wilson. breaking and entering, grand theft, assaulting two law enforcement officers." the judge said.

"uh, campus security, your honor. i mean, can rent a cops really be counted as law enforcement officers?" lip asked.

"it's been what, a couple of months?" the judge asked lip.

"almost a year, your honor." lip replied.

"turn a new leaf or just dumb luck?" the judge asked.

"walking the straight and narrow, your honor. thanks to the wise counsel and guidance previously provided by this court." lip replied as i bit my lip trying not to laugh.

"are you mocking me, phillip?" the judge asked.

"no, your honor, absolutely not. you know, i have nothing but respect for this court and for the rule of law it represents. you know, the rights we derive from over 900 years of fealty to the magna carla are the only thing standing between us and the anarchy of mob rule." lip said.

"hm. still minors, what a shame. the defendant before you bear a co worker to death with a nail studied 2 by 4 for finishing the coffee and not starting a new pot. you show up in this court again as an adult, i'll make sure he's your cell mate. how do you two plead?" the judge asked us.

"not guilty, your honor." i said.

"not guilty. your honor." lip said as well.

"set a date for prelim. five hundred dollars bond." the judge said.

a cop escorted us out and took the handcuffs off of us. before we left we had to sign something and we were able to get out thanks to mandy bailing us out.

"hey, i owe you one." i said walking over to mandy and giving her a hug.

"damn right you do, girl." mandy replied.

mandy milkovich and i became friends because i was close with mickey and ian, i just always seemed to get along with her.

"how'd it go?" ian asked us.

"public defender thinks we can get off with community service if we take the laser back. underprivileged kid trying to gain access to scientific equipment he doesn't have at his ghetto ass underfunded high school. hey, uh, thanks for bailing me out." lip said.

"all mandy, she used her dad's line of credit at bad bobs bonds." ian told us.

"miss a hearing, and my dad will come after you both with a linoleum knife and a bucket of battery acid." mandy said as lip noticed i was quiet.

"hey, mel you okay?" lip asked from behind me.

"you guys are fucking idiots, you know that, right?" i said.

"oh, yeah?" lip asked as he lifted me up from behind and i wiggled around while giggling.

"put me down, lip." i said as he kissed my cheek.