We walked down the sidewalk to the restaurant next to the bowling alley. The wind had picked up, although the snow had melted off, and I shivered. Rob put his arm around me, and I have to admit I didn't mind. In the slightest. 

The waitress seated us immediately. Rob slid into the booth next to me and handed me a menu, then draped his arm casually across the back of the seat. He smelled good, like a combination of soap and cologne, but he hadn't bathed himself in the cologne like some guys do. He had dabbed it on just right. I sat still, hoping not to break the spell and make him realize that yes, he had put his arm around me, for the second time. I didn't want to jinx anything. 

We placed our orders, and after the waitress left, Rob sighed and lowered his arm around my shoulders, giving me a little squeeze. 

"Thanks for coming out with me tonight," he said to Melanie and Luke across the table, but I was the one he was touching. "I've got a lot on my mind right now, and I just needed to get out and have some fun." 

"What's up?" Melanie asked. "You look pretty serious all of a sudden." 

"I don't know if I'm cut out to be a doctor." He exhaled slowly. "My grades are good, but I don't think my heart is really in it. I'm considering going into business instead." 

"Have you talked to Mom and Dad?" Melanie asked. 

"No. I'm putting that off for as long as possible. They've sacrificed a lot to keep me in med school." He turned and looked at me, his blue eyes piercing me like a javelin-a very tingly, pleasant javelin. "What do you think, Addie?" 

This was it-my chance to impress him. "I think it's a decision you need to make carefully," I told him. "It's hard to get into medical school-how many people actually make it? I'd hate to see you throw that away. But on the other hand, you have to do what you know is right for you." His future wife should be wise, shouldn't she? 

He grinned at me like I'd just offered him the key to the secrets of the universe, and I smiled, hoping I'd sounded mature and knowledgeable. And supportive. Good wives are very supportive. 

"Thanks, Addie. You're right-I shouldn't rush into anything. I've got time to decide." He squeezed my shoulders again. "But there's another big decision to make, too."  

"Another one? What's up with you?" Melanie asked. I noticed that Luke had scooted really, really close to her, even closer than Rob was sitting to me, and she didn't seem to mind. I thought it was romantic, but it also made me feel claustrophobic on her behalf. 

Rob took a sip of his water before speaking. "I've been seeing this girl, and she's really amazing. My gut keeps telling me she's the one and I need to pop the question, but she's been accepted to Stanford, and I don't want to get in her way. I don't know what to do." 

His arm around me suddenly felt like a crushing vise. I didn't move, but I couldn't breathe. 

"A girl?" Melanie replied when I couldn't. "What's her name?" 

"Callie. And she's incredible. She's smart, and beautiful-she's a lot like Addie, only older," Rob said, squeezing me again. He was complimenting me, but in the most painful way he possibly could have imagined. I was just like the girl he wanted, but he didn't want me. 

"So, does Callie know you're on a date tonight?" Melanie asked. 

"Yeah, I told her I was going out with my sister and her friends." Rob smiled, but then his expression froze. "But this isn't a real date, you know. We're just hanging out . . . " His voice trailed off, and he turned to look at me. "Addie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"