The morning went by quite slowly and I did end up having to talk to my parents. I told them that one of the junior Nazi’s actually helped me. They told me that I was in more danger now, that he would report it back to the main officer in charge of them. That concerned me. They told me that I was the one who needed to hide the most.

        I was lucky enough to be taken to the market with my father and Uncle. They told me this would be the last time I’d be outside for a while. I needed to take everything in while I could.

        The sun was shining bright in the sky, there was a light breeze but overall, it was the perfect day. The market was packed with people rushing to get their groceries and get back to their house without any trouble. We put fresh fruit and vegetables in our basket and a chicken too.

        When we got to the cash, there seemed to be a problem. The cashier had a tyrant with him. The worker announced to the people in line that he could no longer check out their food if they were Jewish or had a disability. He also said that if anyone caused a fuss about it, they would be arrested on the spot.

        A man instantly broke out into a fit, “how dare you do that? We need to feed our families too!” The tyrant grabbed him immediately and arrested him. 

        “Anyone else like to join this man?” A few others said that they would continue to fight for their rights and they were also arrested.

        “On stadring street, there has been a small market open for the Jewish people who wish to buy fruits and vegetables. You are no longer welcome here, we’re sorry for the inconvenience.”

      We left the store after every Jew was told they must leave. I risked it and placed an apple on the inside of my jacket, I needed something to eat. I made it out of the store without being caught but as my dad was talking to a few other people that were kicked out, the boy came over to me. Yes, the boy from the other night. 

         “I’m starting to think you’re stalking me,” I said crossing my arms. “If anyone sees you near me, we will both be in a lot of trouble so I suggest you leave me alone.” 

           “I can talk to whoever I want and I would like to talk to you, so I will.  Now, I’d just like to say I was in that store and I saw what you put in your jacket,” my eyes widened, “good thing I forgot what you did though.” He winked at me before I blushed. 

         “Thank you for not saying anything. What’s your name?” I asked. He told me his name was Alexander and what asked what mine was in return. Before I could reply my father walked up to us.

        “Dalia, why are you talking to this boy? What did I tell you just a couple hours ago?” My father grabbed my arm and dragged me to the car. I looked back to see the boy smiling at me, he mouthed liar to me before laughing to himself and walking in the other direction.

         We decided to just go back home to the family because we didn’t agree with the system being in order, my father refused to buy from a different market.

         I got home to see my mother and sister working on a sign. My sister looking up from the paint she was using, “we’re selling the the house and the shop.” 

        My  eyes went wide, “mother, is this true?” She nodded. “But why?” She said that we were no longer able to work for our own business and we were being forced into selling our place. “They can’t do that though!” I yelled.