I looked down the alley and saw an opening at the back but I knew what was behind there. Many homeless men and women scattered themselves around that strip and my parents always warned me never to go there.

       Before I could even make up my mind I heard footsteps coming my way and the boy say, “well come on then, they’re gone.” I shook my head in refusal. “What’s the matter? You seemed fine with it before.”

        “You’re going to take me to them and I’m next to be killed,” I started, “please don’t kill me yet, I’m not even supposed to be out right now.” Out of everything he could have done, he started to laugh.

       “I’m not going to kill you or bring you to them, I don’t think I have the authority to kill anyone yet.  I was only here because I’m supposed to be learning what to do…” He trailed off not wanting to finish his sentence, almost as though he was afraid to say it. I asked him to continue. “I have to learn how to treat them and how to punish them for wrong being.”

       I started to walk out of the alley without him. I didn’t want someone as sick as him taking me home. I didn’t want someone who would end up killing my family and I, and the rest of our community driving me around. He was disgusting, they all were.

        “Where are you going?” He asked, running up behind me.  

        “Home. Thank you for kindly hiding me but I must get going.” He offered to drive me and I looked him dead in the eyes, “I would never let someone as insane as you drive me home.” 

            He looked some what hurt to hear that but he quickly covered it up, “who are you to judge me? If I’m working for Hitler, that’s my business and no one else’s.” He raised his voice.  “If you must know, my dad is forcing me to join the Nazi army.”

        "As if. How old are you?” He told me he was 17 and he’d soon be 18. “If you didn’t want to be in Hitler’s army, you would be able to leave when you’re 18.”

       Shaking his head he said, “I wish it was as easy as that. I can’t quit because then I will get a death sentence for betraying them.”

       “Whatever, I have to get going.” He rolled his eyes as a response and I walked away. I may have thought he was good looking the first time I laid eyes on him but after tonight, I’m appalled by how they treat us.

 _________________________      

         I arrived at home a few hours later than expected and I was welcomed by my family and guests waiting for me in our livingroom. I knew I would be in a lot of trouble.

        “Where have you been, young lady?” My mother practically shouted at me. “We’ve been up for nearly two hours waiting for you. Your father and Uncle Mark were just about to go out in the streets looking for you. Explain yourself!”

         “Mother, I’ve been in this house for two weeks hiding upstairs in my room, I needed some air and a walk. I knew you and father would never agree so I thought if I went out for just a few minutes, no one would find out.”  

        My mother started to cry and my sister ran over to comfort her, “we tried to tell you that it’s dangerous for us out there. Why can’t you ever just listen to us?” She said. 

          “Because I needed to go out! I’m drained from being-”

          She cut me off, “not another word out of your mouth, Dalia. Go to bed and we will discuss it in the morning. Please apologize to everyone for worrying us to death.” I apologized to my family and my fathers friend, Roberto, before heading up to my bedroom.