002 • An Unforgettable Date

In silence, Aella watched how Hayes took and hung up her coat . Then he showed a sparkling smile and laid a hand on her lower back. Softly he pushed her across the floor, deeper into the restaurant. 

She could understand why he believed he was likable; but in her eyes he was too smooth, too well-rounded. Although she didn't have any past relationship to compare this to. The last three years of high school she had been in love with someone she would never want to be with long-term. She wouldn't be surprised when he turned out to be in jail, and in all these years she hadn't found out what was so interesting about him. Perhaps it just felt safe, swooning over someone she would never get close to. She shook her head. She didn't even know if her feelings had been real. Maybe she had just wanted to talk about a boy, like her friends. 

Aella sat in her chair before Hayes could pull it out for her and crossed her legs. A little uncomfortably she watched him take a seat in front of her. The date already felt awkward, and the evening had just begun. She hoped the waiter would soon hand her a menu, so she could hide behind it.

"Have you ever been on a date before?", Hayes asked. He leaned his elbows on the table and intertwined his fingers.

"Well, you don't shy away from personal questions, do you?"

"I get the feeling you're not very fond of small talk." What did he expect from her? She didn't want to tell him this was her first date. He was already too full of himself. 

"Nobody was as persistent as you were.", she hums. "And you? Are you playing date-bingo with your friends?"

He moved his eyebrows up and down. "I almost have a full card."

She couldn't help but grin. She liked his sharp-mindedness. It made the date a little less uncomfortable.

. . . 

It became a nice evening. There were few awkward silences and she enjoyed having someone to talk to and laugh with. Only when Hayes had paid the bill and moved outside again, she realized she considered the connection between them as something else. "Do you want to take a walk?"

Aella suppressed a sigh. "I don't mind. I like your company. But I don't like you – not in the way I think you are hoping for. Just so you know." She looked at him. Hopefully he wouldn't be difficult. 

 He showed an optimistic grin and took her arm. "I have seen you smile a few times today. It may surprise you, but I am easily satisfied."

Aella smiled. Was it possible something else would grow out of this? A friendship? Was that even possible when one had feelings for the other, and the other did not? Or was it not that bad? She didn't dare to ask how he really felt about her. Some answers she preferred not to know.

They walked to a nearby park. The grass was sloppy, it must have rained. She hadn't noticed.

"Did you grow up here?" Hayes asked. 

 She shook her head. "No, and I don't like city life much. Unfortunately this is the only piece of nature." She nodded at the square piece of grass on which grew a few trees. 

Hayes's lips moved, but the words did not reach her. All of a sudden the night sky tore open and there was a flash of white light. The next moment Aella felt a burning pain that even scorched her thoughts.

Then there was nothing.