chapter 6

Addy came through the front door first. She had a serious look on her face.

"Thank god you guys are back. What happened out there?"

"Nothing" She replied flatly.

"Everything was fine?" I said puzzled

"Well, everything wasn't fine, but no attacks, Or crazy people. The store was ransacked and abandoned. So we gathered what we could, but we actually had to grab shit from the back store room ."

Luka pushed through the door behind her, slamming it into the wall. His hands were full of bags.

"Hey Joby can you help me bro? There's more bags in the trunk"

Joby stood up before I had a chance to get completely off of his lap. I leaned forward until he moved and planted my ass on the wooden table chair behind him.

I wasn't going to help. I wasn't going outside for anything.

Addy seemed irritated. She open the refrigerator door and slammed the gallon of milk onto the shelf,with a noticeable amount of force.

"Are you ok Addy?"

"No! Im really not. We were fine, but nobody was at the store or on the streets. It was erie as hell. The store was closed but the side door was opened a lil bit, so we went in that way.... I'm freakin out a lil bit about it. I didnt want to drive to a store farther into town. so...I mean we left money on the front counter. So we didn't steal. Police cars and ambulance were flying by us, and I thought they were gonna catch us. But they didn't even look at us, as they flew past. I was half hoping they would have come and messed with us, atleast that woulda felt normal"

Staring at a scuff mark on the floor, she leaned against the kitchen counter and folded hers arms around herself, as if to give herself a hug.

" There's some really serious shit happening Cali." She mumbled

" I know it is, that's what I've been trying to tell you guys."

Joby's face peered from around the kitchen corner as I heard the front door shut and lock.

" They got some good shit babe."

"Did they?" I sounded uninterested, I was more worried about Addy and her serious demeaner. She was never really that serious. It was very unsettling to me. She was typically my voice of reason.

I began to wonder if I wasn't freaked out enough.

10:36pm
2 hours later

The house filled with normal night time sounds. We gathered around the table to eat. By the end of the meal, and after our second glasses of wine, everybody had loosened up.

The sounds of forks scraping plates and spouts of laughter overlapping the sound of soft jazz playing in the background. It all felt so good, so comfortable, so normal.

We were all sitting at the dining table finishing our dinner. I felt relaxed and for the last 30 minutes, I hadn't even thought about what was happening outside.

Witty oneliners from the guys, followed by snorted laughs echoing inside of wine glasses, from the girls.

It's all I needed. My soul needed it. I could live in this moment forever.

Our amazing trip to Hawaii this past summer, was the topic of the hour.

"We had a blast in Hawaii!" Addy belted out.

"yea and remember Joby was terrified to go into the water? He was all alone on shore."

With a half smile, Joby stood up and walked his plate to the sink.
"Hey I had a margarita in each hand, I was happy."