Chapter 34. The Oni

Start from the beginning

Scott growled as his fangs shot out, Kira grabbed a hold of my arm and kept me close to her. I was trying to get a handle on my self, but I keep hearing voices shouting at me to close my eyes and go to sleep, but I know that if I do that, then I’m gonna lose control— and I’m not doing that again. 

“Are you okay,” Kira asked as she watched me struggle. My hands latched onto the back of one of the dining room chairs for support. I swallowed down the pain and nodded once, “I will be, just give me a minute.”

Her eyes widened, “We don’t really have a minute.” 

The front door flew open and my mom reacted instantly, dragging my dad by his arm out of the main hallway into the cutoff by the guest bathroom. Kira held her breath and tightened her grip on my arm as we watched the door fearfully, I let out a sigh when Derek slid in, his blue eyes lighting up his facial features. 

“Oh thank God,” I breathed out in relief. I never thought that I would actually be relieved to have Derek pull his appear out of nowhere act. 

The demonic ninja’s continued their assault and I felt completely and utterly useless. I mean, I can’t really do anything anyway, but at least I don’t have to hold on something for support and I’m coherent enough to offer helpful suggestions from a distance. 

Glass shattering behind Kira and myself, sent us both flying to the floor. More-so because Kira freaked out and she pulled me along with her, it’s as if she had been instructed to stay by my side. 

I craned my neck to see what the hell happened to the window, only to find Ethan and Aidan crouching on the table, growling at one of the ninja’s that had been standing directly behind where we had been. How did I not know that it had been standing right there? 

Even though my joints were wailing in pain as I crawled across the floor, I pushed through it. Kira followed right behind me. I got into the living room before I finally stood up, only to have my body start to sway before I fell against Kira. She was shouting at me as my vision bean to go grainy, my house fading into shades of dark gray until I saw was blackness with those bright yellow dots guiding me into a quiet and warm place…

Kasey’s eyes were vacant as she stood up fully, her bones cracking slightly from her lack of posture she has used over years. She pushed away from Kira as she watched her mother sprint to the front door, throwing down a vial of ash to the floor. It shattered, letting the barrier be put in place. She sighed before realizing that her fellow Oni had been trapped outside, and she, was trapped on the inside. 

“Scott this isn’t good!” Melissa shouted as she ran back to her ex-husband. Rafael was gasping as his blood seeped into the hardwood floors that had taken a supernatural beating thus far. 

Kasey watched her brother run to their mother’s worrying side, trying to help her. She let out a huff and walked towards the front door. She held her outstretched hands towards the screen door and pressed it against the invisible barrier, the second that her skin hit it, a blue burst of light surround them an she drew it back in annoyance. 

Kira followed Kasey’s movements and did the same. When Kira suffered the same feat, Aidan narrowed his eyes. He grabbed Kira’s hand tightly, “What are you?”

“She’s a Kitsune, idiot. Use your eyes, you can see it all around her. Younger ones give off an aura, she probably doesn’t know what kind she is either.” Derek stated as he walked towards them. 

Kasey kept her eyes on Derek uneasily, he was watching her. Aidan jerked his head in her direction, “Kasey’s not a Kitsune, is she?”