Jake

17th September 2010

Leaning against the crumbled wall in the shadows, I lit up my cigarette and let out a long exhale. I crossed my arms as I casually scanned the area around me. I was sent to Edonia for an undercover mission, posing as a mercenary. When newly elected President Graham came into power, he sent Leon and me for our first mission under him to Spain to find his missing daughter. It was the first time I met Leon, and we've been partners ever since. Now I was back in Europe again, but I was alone. My mission was simple — find the illegal merchants and acquire all the merchandise. If the guns were sold off to other parties, a bigger war might erupt again in Edonia and subsequently spread to the rest of Europe before reaching the US. The mission was supposed to be quick — in and out; use means of force if necessary. I hoped the mission was simple because Edonia was filled with BOWs.

I noted that there were a few groups of mercenaries in the area. The longer I stayed, the more suspicious they would get. I quietly moved away from the area to avoid getting spotted. I had a well-thought-out plan in my head, but it was quickly thrown off the rails. There was another mercenary that was hellbent on getting his money through the sales of those guns, and he was in my way. I was on a strict 'no contact' mission, but I had to confront the mercenary, one way or another.

"You're making a big mistake," I spoke, as the mercenary gathered another gun into his bag.

"Well hey there, beautiful," the mercenary spoke as he turned around. He looked young but then again, mercenaries in this area could be as young as 8.

"Give me the guns," I asserted.

"No."

His one-worded answer was no surprise to me, but I knew he was going to be a huge headache. "Listen, kid. I'm not here to-"

"Then I'm not interested."

The nerve of this kid. I tried my best to keep my cool. I was never one for patience, but I needed the guns no matter what the course of action was. "Whatever they're paying you, I'll pay you more."

"Let's talk a few million dollars. Say 20," he said, grinning as if he had already won.

"Fine."

"Really?" he asked, clearly surprised that I had easily given in.

"Do you want the money or not?"

He thought for a while before handing me the bag cautiously. I opened up the bag and checked it, only to find out he hadn't acquired all the guns. So much for wanting a half-day off.

"This is all you got?" I asked, zipping up the bag and hauling it over my shoulder. "Where's the last gun?"

"Haven't got to it yet."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

I turned to leave, but he stopped me. "That's gonna cost an extra few grand," he said with a smirk plastered on his face.

"Yeah, sure thing kid."

"Kid?" he scoffed, looking offended that I had stuck with that nickname. "I'm 18-"

"I'm five years older than you."

He chuckled. "Well, maybe I like my women older and more experienced."

I couldn't help but let out a small smile. I led him towards the last location of the illegal trade, but we were ambushed. Turns out, we had been followed from the very beginning. They were all infected, just like the Ganados. The mercenary and I were surrounded, but we took them all out. I was impressed by his skills, especially his quick combat moves. He had flashy manoeuvres and a whole lot air of arrogance around him, but he got to his opponents fast and without breaking a sweat. He was something else.