Chapter 2

Adalyn:

It felt like slow motion like when your in water and all your movements are slowed down. I look up and see a gorgeous pair of brown eyes stare into mine. He looks like he came out of magazine. I realize how long I'm staring at him and quickly look down at the ground while my cheeks turn a crimson color. I run up the steps to the front door of the school and quickly get inside still feeling a pair of eyes staring at me.

Nat:

Wow I have never seen a girl that captivating before. I know I'm staring but she's way too gorgeous not to look at. I watch her run inside the school still entranced until some taps my shoulder. "Hey Natty Boy? What are you staring at?" I shake my head and look at techno dork aka Toby and shake my head. "Dearest Tobias I was looking at your girl friend Rebecca Shaefer over there" I smirked as Toby just shuddered and looked over seeing the girl who has a huge crush on him but is definitely not his type.

I laugh and look at my phone to check the time "Well guys it is 7:30 so we better get into school right now and go to home room. What do you have first period?" I look at everyone and they tell me their classes. David has Music Theory with TJ, Toby has English, Rachel and Yasmina have AP Psychology, and I have Math.

We all say our goodbyes and part ways to our lockers. I put my books in my locker and walk to home room which is my math teacher Mr. Kaplan. I go in and take a seat near the front since I don't really like anyone in the class. I watch people walk in and see people that I either don't have a problem with or people I absolutely dislike. The bell rings and in comes my worst enemy since middle school, Chadwick Worbley.

Here's a little backstory on our, I guess "relationship" together. Chad and I used to be friends in elementary school. We did everything together as kids and even went on vacation together. Once we transferred to middle school everything changed. Once he walked into that school in 6th grade he changed a lot. He started hanging out with the popular kids and wouldn't even hang out with me at all. He would be a huge jerk and pick on me. Most of the time when he wasn't with his 'buddies' and I tried to talk to him he wouldn't even look at me let alone talk. In the halls he would give me glares and death stares and that's how I lost my best friend to the crowd.

He sat down in the back and did the bro hug with his friend Jordan. The announcements came on but nobody paid attention to the and talked to their friends or played with their phones since we are allowed to have them out.

When the announcements were over Mr. Kaplan started off talking about the new school year and what we would be learning. I tuned out and started drawing in my notebook. Great Nat, you are already off to a bad start this year but whatever it's senior year!

Adalyn:

As I sit in Art 4 with Mr. Jasper I realize that this class would be such an awesome class! I've always loved art so much and I even have an easel in my room with my can of brushes and my many many paint palettes. My mom used to be a painter and she got me into painting at a very young age.

As Mr. Jasper was talking about the units were gonna learn and different abstract styles I sat there looking like a kid who heard she was going to Disney World. After his speech about the new school year we could chill on our phones, free draw or paint, or just sit and paint. I chose to draw and sketch since I don't really use my phone and I haven't made any friends yet.

Mr. Jasper turned on some music and I saw some kids drawing and other painting. The bell rung and I looked up feeling like only five minutes have passed but I get on to my next class which is English. I lose my way to the class and try to ask for directions but no one paid any attention to me, well Adalyn I am invisible like my old school, what else is new.

The bell rang signaling if you aren't in class you'll get a detention. I run down different halls trying to find the English room. This school is so huge I run into some incoming freshman who are just as lost as I am and ask them if they know where room 146 is. They all shook there heads except one tiny girl who said its in the east wing and it's the third door on the right. I thank her and sprint to the east wing. I slowly come to the hall and walk till I see the third door on my right. I open the door and all 24 pairs of eyes turn towards me.

Nat:

English class is going to be amazing this year. Having Mrs. Danner is the ultimate prize for a person who is into English which I am. As she was going over the books we were going to read and talking about Othello I heard a door open.

My eyes turned towards the door and I see that beautiful girl from this morning. She looks at all of us and then the teacher. Mrs. Danner turns to us and says " class this is Adalyn Castilian and she just transferred here from California!" She says excitedly Adalyn turns to the class and smiles. She goes to find a seat and sits next to me kind of in the back. She takes her seat and listens to the teacher talk. I watch her out of the corner of my eye as she takes some notes on things she would need to get and books she'd need to buy from the school store. As Mrs. Danner finished talking she said we could do anything we wanted as long as it wasn't too loud. Everyone went their own separate ways and did what they wanted to do. I turned to Adalyn "Hi, I'm Nat Wolff" I stuck out my hand as she looked at it and then looked back up at me " um hi, I'm Adalyn" she took my hand and shook it. I gave her a big smile "So what part of California did you live in?" "Oh I lived in Santa Barbara five minutes from the beach. It was a really lovely place." We strike up a great conversation and turns out she's in a few of my classes!

After science and AP Government with her I invite her to sit with my friends and I at lunch. She smiles and says okay and we walk towards the cafeteria. I show her our usual table and introduce her to my friends.

Adalyn:

I sit with Nat and his friends and they're really nice people. Yasmina and Rachel are talking to me about different girl things and TJ and David talk about guitars and ask me if I like to play. I tell them I play the Ukelele and I want to learn how to play the piano and they all thought that was pretty cool. Yas and Rachel both have to go to the bathroom and asked me if I would want to join because yes girls do go to the bathroom in packs, that's not a myth. I tell them no and all the guys are talking to me. I then hear someone familiar laughing really loud and I turn around to see Chad laughing at me. He then stands up and gets the while lunchrooms attention "hey everyone I have an announcement so shut up! The new girl over there Adalyn is a freak and a loser. Her mom is druggie by the way and she's such a loner!" Everyone looks at me and starts to laugh. I turn to the guys and they look at me with sad eyes. "I am so sorry about that Adalyn he shouldn't pick on someone he doesn't know he's such a dick!" "No guys believe me I know he's a dick and he does know me Nat. The only reason he knows me is because I live with Chad. I'm a foster kid." They're eyes went huge and I knew that this would be a horrible day. I throw away my lunch since I'm not hungry anymore and walk out of the lunchroom while people are pointing and laughing. I guess I won't have friends this year again and will be alone. So much for blending in with the crowd, Adalyn.

************************************