Prologue

serendipity[ ser-uhn-dip-i-tee ], noun, an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.

Adalyn:

Now I don't believe in fate but I do believe in miracles. I, Adalyn Gemma Castilian, have been through a hell of a lot. It all started when I was 4 and my dad had passed away in a car accident. My dad was driving home from work on the freeway when a semi truck hit him with a drunk driver behind the wheel. My mom was so devastated she turned to drugs to be her anti-depressant.

I remember on my sixth birthday she was drunk and doing lines of cocaine right in front of me on the kitchen counter, in front of my birthday cake. She was so incoherent she ended up tripping over herself and passed out on the floor. I remember blowing out my candles making a huge wish that day. I'm still hoping It would come true, but I'm losing hope. Six months later Child Protective Services had taken me away and sent my mom to rehab. It didn't bother me anyway since I've basically raised myself since the day my dad died. I haven't heard from her since that day.

I've been in six different foster homes and been with nine different families. They've all treated me like shit or they never acknowledge my presence. Now I've been with a new family for three months. They are really sweet people but I have never opened myself up to anyone before so I'm very closed off and distant.

My foster parents have a son who is the thorn in my side! His name is Chadwick Aiden Worbley aka a pain in the ass. He is a year older than me and a very well-known boy at my school since he is MVP for his lacrosse team. Since I've been living in that house he's made life an even bigger hell than it was. He picks on me and makes fun of me and knowing that I won't retaliate or sink to his level he just keeps going. I'm so tired of having really bad luck and feeling like nothing every.single.day. I just need a savior.

************************************