Why the Hell do you Care?

One shot dedicated to Dirk Pitt. Max's Pov.

"Gwen, you shit. I'm not fucking doing it." I stood about fifteen foot up on the edge of the flat before a ramp leading to a jump. It was Ered's shitty extreme sports barbie day and David had insisted we all join it. The idiot. I was wearing a blue helmet and a skateboard rested at my feet. The other campers watched the scene from the other side of the ramp. I could just about hear David shouting encouragement.

"Come on Max, you can do it. Everyone give Max a big cheer." A small forced cheer swiftly followed.

"Max. I'm not going to lie to you. I had a bet with David before and he said that you wouldn't do it." OK, now that was interesting and I was almost tempted to go for it without thinking. But then again I'd be making Gwen happy if I did roll down there. I kicked the board to the back of the ramp away from me and scowled at her. Gwen stopped it before it could fall off the top of the scaffolding.

"Nope, I'm not getting wrapped up in your shitty bet. Besides not everyone else did it." I was right, there was no reason for me to risk hurting myself at this god forsaken camp. Only Ered, Nikki and Space Kid had attempted the jump, Ered had pulled a 180 combined with a board grab, Nikki had gone down with all four limbs planted on the skateboard (it was pretty impressive that she'd stuck the landing) and Space Kid had rolled down the ramp with no board at all. He'd landed in a crumpled heap and had shouted out to Houston claiming that he had a problem. I started towards the steps when suddenly Gwen picked me up by my hood and plopped me on the skateboard and gripped my sides.

"Max, trust me, you'll thank me by the end of the day." And she pushed me down the ledge. The wind rushed through my hair and my curse aimed at Gwen was lost in the gust of air. Surprisingly I kept my balance though I wasn't really thinking about it, what I was really thinking was something like this.

"I'm going to fucking kill Gwen, ahhhhhhhhh." Then I was flying, my feet lost contact with the board and the last thing I remembered was the ground rushing up to meet me. Thwack. My vision swam with colours for a little while. There was a pain in my lower leg and I felt my stomach being pushed up and down. I opened my eyes to see Nikki pumping my chest, David wrestled her off me.

"Nikki, he's fine. He's got all the safety equipment on." I recovered my other senses and the world seemed normal again. I then realised Nikki, had a couple of tears in her eyes which she was trying to wipe away quickly.

"What the hell was that Nikki? I'm fine you moron." I tried to get up but David held me down. He examined my leg while I wrestled against him.

"Max, I think you've hurt your ankle a bit. It's nearly a sprain. Gwen could you go get some ice please?" I tried to get up again. "No Max, I'll get you to your tent for some rest. Nikki, Neil, you come too, your his friends."

"Neil's writing in his diary, he hasn't been here all day David."Nikki said. The rest of the campers left though Space Kid and Ered told me to get well soon. David picked me up and took me back to my tent. I'm so embarrassed. If Neil saw this I'd never hear the end of it. He plonked me down on my bed and Nikki sat on the end, watching me, her eyes still glistened a little from where she might have been crying. David spoke. "Gosh, darn heck. Where is Gwen with that ice?" He ran out of the tent to find her leaving just me and Nikki alone in the tent. Nikki was still looking at me weirdly.

"Nikki, are you alright?" I turned my head to one side questioningly.

"Yeah, I'm fine Max..." She looked a little bit embarrassed. "I just overreacted earlier. I er.... that was a sweet jump you did earlier." She was trying to change the subject.

"Like hell it was, no why were you giving me CPR earlier you idiot?" She froze up and said quickly.

"You're my friend Max that's why. That's what friends do."

"Oh, OK I guess, you just seemed in a bit of a state." She sighed and looked away for a second, she was starting to get a bit emotional again. She said flatly.

"You're not going to let this drop are you, well I suppose it's better you find out this way." She leaped off the bed and ran around to where I was laying and looked me right in the eyes. I leaned back slightly, I was a bit nervous. She came towards me very slowly, her head getting closer until we were mere centimetres apart.

Nikki, what are you..." I started. She leaned in and kissed me squarely on the cheek.

Gwen's POV

I was carrying the an ice bag while David was walking next to me.

"Gwen, both the bets don't count, you pushed Max down the ramp and Nikki gave him mouth to mouth, that's nowhere near the same as a kiss." He was jumping up and down with energy as usual.

"I believe the bet was that he'd go down the ramp, however I'll agree with the second sentiment..." I said matter of factually. We turned the corner to go into the tent. Nikki was in the process of kissing Max on the cheek, while Max's mouth was hanging open and for the first time ever he had nothing to say.

Nikki broke off the kiss and turned around towards us. "Hi David, Gwen. See you tomorrow Max." She winked at him and skipped out of the tent. I put the ice bag on Max's leg and held my hand out towards David, who smartly placed twenty dollars into it and shook his head with amazement. He quickly walked out leaving me and a dazed Max.

"Max, you've got to hold this on your leg once every two hours for ten minutes. If you shout I'll get you a new one." I made ready to leave.

"Gwen." I stopped and turned. Max was sitting upright in his bed. "Thanks for the ice bag... and everything else."