Chapter 7:part 1/4

.....sigh...how did it end up like this....
Around me, the whole gym in packed with girls....screaming at the top of their lungs.....
Hiroki and Joy who were also watching, look on with worried expressions...
In front of me ,Carlo and Ryu senpai are staring down each other, neither backing down.....
How did we get in this situation?
Let me rewind a little.....
----------------20 minutes ago------------
Carlo and I stepped onto court, ready for our try outs.
The coach was just about to start a short basketball match to see our abilities in action when Ryu senpai came walking up to us.
From the looks of it, he'd already been selected onto the team.
Despite my initial hesitation, I decided to say hi....but he beat me to it.
Ryu : hey Angeline....long time no see....."
Ryu senpai bends down and peers into my face.....
Me:hi senpai.....didn't I just see you yesterday?
Ryu: wha--!
Ryu senpai seems obviously flustered....or maybe that's just him trying to be dramatic, for he quickly pulls back and looks at me with his eyes wide open.
Ryu: ahem.....so you noticed me yesterday? I have to admit your observation skills are quite incredible...."

you are just too easy to spot...

".....Ayato also mentioned the same."

My face stiffens the second he mentions Ayatos name.

Carlo: wait? 'Long time no see'? Can I take it that you two have formally met before?
Me:"...."
I don't know why, but I hesitate a little to open my mouth....and in that time Ryu senpai takes the opportunity to explain things.
Ryu: oh? So she never told you? Then, allow me to dispel your confusion.... we've known each other for as long as when she was just a first year, in fact you could say we have quite a few things in common. Isn't that right Tenshi-chan?
-(Tenshi means Angel, here Tazuki is joking around by calling her Tenshi-chan instead of Angel-chan which is one of her nicknames)-
Carlo: Tenshi-chan....?
I ignore Carlo for the moment and focus on Ryu senpai....
Me: I thought I told you to stop calling me that Ryu senpai! And also, I have no idea what you mean when you say we have something in common.
I glare at Ryu senpai.
Ryu: darn, you're so cold! I wish you'd call me 'Tazuki-san' like you used to......but it makes sense, after all, you still think I'm on his side don't you? Well guess what , I left his side almost immediately after you did....so right now, we are in the same boat."

By 'him' is he referring to Ayato....?

Just then, I feel a hand on my shoulder.....
Me:Carlo ?
He looks at me confused, as if hesitant to ask me something.

.....I should tell him.....but right now I think we should focus on tryouts

I look at the coach who seems to be staring at us with frustration.
Me:...alright Tazuki senpai, I'll listen to what you have to say after tryouts, how about that?
Tazuki: .......*sigh*, still won't loose the 'senpai' huh? But I guess it's good enough for now.....
Me: and Carlo, I'm sorry to keep you in the dark, but would you mind waiting until tryouts are over....I'll tell you everything then.
Carlo seems to hesitate for a second before nodding resolutely, accepting my proposal.
Carlo: so we are playing a basketball match first right? Against who?
Tazuki : that would be me....
Carlo and me:

WHAT?!

Carlo and I look at Tazuki senpai in shock.
But as expected, Carlo manages to recover first and asks what's on his mind.
Carlo: so, who's your partner? We are gonna play basketball right....? So shouldn't we have even teams?
Tazuki: "yes, we will.....but first...."

Tazuki senpai calls over the coach and whispers something to him....
For a moment, the coach looks hesitant but eventually gives in with a sigh, nodding at Tazuki.
Tazuki then comes over to us.....
Tazuki: first, I'd like to challenge both of you to a running race. That way I can get a grasp on each of your athletic abilities , and see if you are as good as they say.....or rather if you are even worth my time....
Tazuki aims the last phrase at Carlo, who simply smirks in response.
"oh I see....well then, I better not hold back.......",Carlo says provokingly.
Carlo and Tazuki stare down each other, neither backing down.