E i g h t

Jeremy was curled up in a ball, utterly embarrassed. How did he not realize he could talk sooner?

"You never try to talk." The SQUIP said, startling him. "You wouldn't have realized without being so shocked you call out without realizing."

'Oh, and you. Apparently you're evil.' Jeremy thought, then ignored everything else the SQUIP said.

Michael glanced over at Jeremy. He was equally embarrassed and nervous, but handled it a lot better. He touched Jeremy's arm, and Jeremy flinched, causing Michael to let go and instead put a hand on his shoulder.

Jeremy looked up at Michael, tears threatening to spill. He was never usually this emotional, but he was letting his nerves get the best of him today.

"Hey, it's fine!" Michael said, trying not to trigger Jeremy in any way. "Ev- everything is fine.."

Jeremy held back the tears at the memory those words brought back. The night his mom kicked him and his dad out... his breathing got faster, alarming Michael.

"Hey, we'll figure this out!" Michael said quickly, trying his best to keep Jeremy from having another panic attack. "We don't have to tell anyone anything yet... not until you're ready."

Jeremy looked up. "T-thanks Michael, but... but I'm fine with telling everyone w-when you are." He said, smiling weakly.

Michael smiled and pulled Jeremy into a hug. The smaller boy returned the favor, already comfortable with Michael.

"Now... about the SQUIP." Michael said, pulling away from the hug.

"I-is there a way to get rid of... get rid if it?" Jeremy asked, scared of what it could do.

"Yeah, but it could hurt." Michael said.

"You don't really need me, so I won't stop you." The SQUIP said, disappearing.

"O-ok." Jeremy stammered.

Michael rummaged around in the backpack he brought, bringing out a bottle of Mountain Dew Red.

"I always keep one around just in case." He said, handing the bottle to Jeremy.

"So I just drink it?" Jeremy asked, and Michael nodded.

Jeremy drank some of it and felt like his head was being stabbed by a million tiny needles. He yelped and put his head in his hands, and Michael pulled him into another hug.

After a few minutes, Michael looked down and saw that Jeremy had passed out. He sighed and laid him in his beanbag, sitting down himself.