Nineteen: Question

"So?", Oikawa asked, gazing at [Name] inquiringly.

The girl was looking at him with her wet eyes, thinking deeply about the response. They were still sitting close to each other, and [Name] could clearly feel the heat of Oikawa's body and smell his deodorant and shampoo. She could also see the determined anticipation sparkling in his intelligent, hazelnut eyes. A light smile appeared on her face.

"No matter what my response would be, you'd still continue on trying, right?", she said.

Oikawa twitched.

Well, if you thought about it this way...

"Probably", he replied honestly.

"I don't get it though", the girl shrugged.

But...

"But the fact that you came to my practice and that you agreed to become friends means that you need it. You need someone to trust, don't you?", Oikawa finished her thought.

[Name] widened her eyes and gulped before lowering her head.

"Yes, I guess so", she admitted reluctantly.

Silence filled the room, and suddenly, [Name] saw Oikawa's little finger moving towards her.

She looked up at the boy with questioning expression on her face.

"It's a pinky promise", he explained with a wide smile.

[Name] was looking at him without a world before snorting with laughter.

"I never thought I'd be making a pinky promise with the school's most popular guy, the captain of the powerful volleyball team, and one of the best setters in the prefecture, the famous Oikawa Tooru", she choked, giggling.

"See, you're clearly blessed", Oikawa replied jokingly.

The girl hooked her little finger on Oikawa's, officially agreeing to his promise.

He will never hurt her.

As the two stopped laughing, [Name] changed the subject.

"Oikawa-san, coming back to the kiss..."

The boy jigled nervously.

"Y-Yes?", he replied, ready for [Name] to scold him for what he did.

"Aren't you afraid that pretending that we're together will prevent you from getting a real girlfriend?", the girl asked to his surprise.

He peeked at her to see a faint blush huing her cheeks. She was looking on the ground and fidgeting her fingers nervously.

"Not really. I'm not looking for a girlfriend", he replied. "I prefer to focus on volleyball".

"Volleyball and girlfriend don't rule each other out", [Name] protested.

Oikawa widened his eyes, surprised by the girl's words.

"Well-", he wanted to say something, but [Name] cut him off.

"If she really likes you, she should accept how important it is to you!", she exclaimed, a little bit too zealously not to sound suspicious.

Why was she so vigurous when it came to Oikawa and volleyball?

But Oikawa was too shocked to realise that something with [Name]'s reaction was wrong. Instead of commenting on this, he gaped at the girl in honest astonishment. It was the first time when a girl told him something like this. All of his previous girlfriends would only complain how much time he would spend on practicing volleyball, but they never really tried to understand why he was doing it.

"So", Oikawa suddenly spoke up, "if you were my girlfriend, you would be okay with the fact that I spend so much time on the practices?", he asked, smirking.

The girl nearly jumped up, hearing the question. She immediately moved her eyes on the side and blushed heavily.

"W-Well, I... Uhm... I'd probably, as I said...", she stumbled, fidgeting her fingers nervously. "Being your girlfriend would mean that I accept you as you are. A-And not wanting you to do what you love would be equal to not accepting the full of you, wouldn't it?", Oikawa widened his eyes. "After all, Oikawa without volleyball is no longer Oikawa I know", she smiled shyly and looked up at the boy to see his surprised expression.

As soon as their eyes met, Oikawa turned his face away from the girl to hide his growing blush.

Not only her slightly messed up face, red cheeks, and long, glued with tears eyelashes looked cute, but her honest, simple words somehow made his heart speed up.