Thirteen: Surprise

"Oikawa-kun, give it your all!", a loud squeal clashed through the gymnasium, where volleyball club was currently having their practice.

The mentioned chocolate haired boy turned towards the balcony to see some two starry-eyed second year girls standing there. He smiled lightly and waved to them, causing an even bigger explosion of screeches. The boy moved his eyes onto a different spot on the tribunes, next to the excited girls. His expression changed slightly when he saw [Name] with her head resting on her hands on the rail. The girl sent him a light smile and he replied with something similar before turning his head back to the team.

"He looked our way!"

"He's so cute!"

"I know, right?"

The fangirls couldn's stop talking. [Name] sighed deeply, observing the duo in silence.

What a nuisance, she though to herself before moving her eyes back on the court, where a match was going to take place. However, she couldn't watch the practice peacefully, as the girls already moved to her.

"Excuse me", one of them started hesitantly.

[Name] couldn't ignore her since the question was visibly directed to her.

"Yes?", she replied as confidently as she could, but her tightening grip on the rail could easily tell how nervous she got.

The girl looked on the ground, forming the question. Her friend came with help.

"Are you really Oikawa-san's girlfriend?", she asked straightforwardly, not even trying to hide her disbelief. Her stance was confident, her eyes were showing nothing but challenge.

[Name] gulped. She could guess it would be this kind of question.

"I-I guess so", she mumbled, feeling a cold sweat forming on her forehead.

The girls furrowed their eyebrows, still not convinced.

"Is he a good kisser?", the first girl asked, seeking [Name]'s suspicous reaction.

For a second, [Name]'s eyes widened, but she quickly regained her composure.

"Yes", she replied.

Just what kind of question was that?

"Well, it was obvious", the second girl commented. "But to think that Oikawa-san's type would change so quickly..."

[Name] didn't understand.

"What do you mean?", she asked.

"Well, you're totally different from Mizuki", the girl replied.

"Mizuki?", [Name] was still confused.

"You don't know her? She's one of the most popular girls in the school. And Oikawa-san's ex-girlfriend", the girl explained, a cheeky spark appearing in her eye.

[Name]'s eyebrow twitched.

Ex-girlfriend?

"W-Well, it's not my business who O- Tooru was dating before me", [Name] tried hard to hide her nervousness mixed with surprise.

"I see", the girl replied indifferently. "How long have you been together?", she asked instead.

[Name] was slowly panicking. She wasn't good a talking to people, let alone in lying. She moved her eyes back on the court, trying to catch Oikawa's attention. She hoped that the boy would help her with getting out from the uncomfortable situation.

"Two months", she answered.

A silence followed and was soon broken by the second girl. Her tone changed from artificially polite into a suspecting one.

"Two months? Interesting... Oikawa-san and Mizuki broke up a month ago, though...", she said.

[Name] let out an inner groan. She was done. Damn Oikawa. He could have told her about his previous relationships before getting her into this mess.

One good thing was that Oikawa finally looked in [Name]'s direction. Seeing her imploring expression, he quickly started analysing the situation.

Two girls standing over [Name] with suspicious faces and [Name] on the verge of collapsing. This could only mean that [Name] needed an excuse to leave.

"[Name]-chan, could you please bring me some water?", he called out to the (h/c) haired girl.

She let out a deep sigh of relief and turned back to the second years who were awaiting her response.

"Sorry, seems that I have to go", she said and quickly left the balcony.

Her fast pace was progressively slowing down as the distance to the gymnasium was becoming bigger. Finally, her scamper changed into a walk. She was already outside of the building, slowly heading towards the gymnasium's main entrance. She felt the nerves fading away from her body, which left her some time to rethink the whole situation.

In fact, she didn't know why she was surprised by the fact that Oikawa had had a girlfriend. It was obvious that somebody this handsome and this outgoing, having so many fangirls would have a girlfriend. Somehow, it was making [Name] curious. What kind of a relationship did Oikawa have? Was it something serious or was it just a fling? Knowing Oikawa, it was the second option. What was the reason of their breakup? How far did he go with this girl? Who was the one who confessed?

By the way, saying that she was his girlfriend automatically foreclosed Oikawa from having a real relationship. Was he really okay with that?

[Name] woke up from the reverie as she arrived at the doors of the main entrance. She planned to sneak quietly towards Oikawa's bottle, refill it in the fountain, and put it back on its place unnoticed. Then she would probably wait for the boy outside. Inhaling deeply, she opened the door. But to her discontent, she walked in together with the whistle announcing a short break so her plan of entering unnoticed came to nothing. As fast as the doors creaked, the heads of the whole team turned in her direction.

"Oho", Hanamaki hummed to Oikawa's ear quietly.

[Name] yelped and clenched her fists, ignoring the pressure of the boys' eyes locked on her. She walked up to the chocolate haired boy.

"Which bottle is yours?", she mumbled, avoiding his questioning look.

"Uh, this one", he lifted the bottle standing on the bench next to them and handed it to the girl.

"Okay", she said and turned away from him, ready to leave the gymnasium, but Oikawa's grip on her wrist stopped her.

She didn't have to look around to know that all the boys were secretly watching them.

"[Name], what happened up there?", Oikawa asked.

"They just seem not to believe that we're a couple", [Name] replied quietly, so that the rest of the team wouldn't hear her. "They kept asking me questions. I didn't know what-".

She wanted to continue, but something damp and soft cut her off.