Failed things

Bruno swung the door open and found Boots sitting on their torn, brown leather couch. He approached him with a frown causing the other to get up and pace the room.

"Hey, what was that back there?"

"That was yesterday night."

"Yeah, well, I had to wait for the bus by the Antique and Produce lady for a few hours," he drops a bag of peaches onto the coffee table.

"That was kind of uncalled for, dude," Boots referred to yesterday, in an annoyed tone as he turned towards him.

"I've been planning that for a while, I know you don't like change but I figured a surprise attack may shock you into the situation..?"

Boots looked at Bruno with a disapproving frown and simple shake of his head; alerting the other that no, his plan did not work out.

"Then, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to freak you out. I didn't realize what a horrible friend I was putting you in a situation like that."

"That's not why I'm upset."

"I'm such an idiot, man. I should've hinted at it more and-...and I should've thought it through because I know I don't think many plans through,"

Bruno was freaking out now; rambling his words, where Boots couldn't really comprehend the sentences he was slinging together.

"Bruno."

"I wanted you to be happy, ya know? You've been pining over Diane since we met her, and Cathy. You're my best friend, I figured you deserve to be-..."

"Bruno," Boots repeated, a little louder that time and the other boy's mouth snapped shut,
"That's exactly it. You're my best friend, I've spent everyday with you, plotting together and I couldn't really stop myself from what came next. I'm just surprised you never noticed."

Bruno stared at his friend slowly confess to the secret he hid for all these years. His green eyes didn't blink as they were watching Boots intently.

"I guess what I'm saying is that I've liked you, for three hundred and sixty five days...repeated three times."

"So, three years..."

Boots chuckled and looked at Bruno with a nod, he started chewing on his lip and inched closer to Bruno. He ducked his head and closed his eyes; the sound of his friend's voice which is normally booming was soft and shaky.

"Melvin," Bruno pulled back; Boots' hand fell limply to his side.

"Melvin?"

"I can't-.."

It was obvious now that Bruno had taken a further step back, creating more of a distance between the pair. Boots' eyes searched Bruno's face for any sign of emotion but it was blank. His green eyes stared piercingly into Boots' watering blues as if he wanted to say something but it was trapped inside his tightly shut mouth.

"Wow," Boots' laughed bitterly and rubbed the back of his neck, "really misread that."

"Please, let me just.."

"No, that's okay."

Boots shook his head and backed out from their bubble. He rubbed at his eyes and walked towards the door,
"You've done enough."

With that he left and for once Bruno was quiet. He wasn't making a commotion chasing after Boots' or planning a scheme to win his trust back. He just stood in the middle of their room, staring at the door that his best friend just walked out through. He was confused, scared and overwhelmed with this sudden proclamation. Boots' didn't even let him explain or talk it out, he just walked out on him. Bruno bit his quivering lip and slowly sank to the floor.