Before We Fell

Patch -

A week before we went our separate ways, I would have never saw it coming. I was so in love with you and had been for so long that a life without you seemed unimaginable. Exactly seven days before you started acting strange.

When the door bell rang, I knew it was you because you'd be the only one up at 6:30am on a Saturday, besides myself. Usually when you made your Saturday morning appearances they were accompanied with breakfast that you'd just picked up from Shari's. That Saturday you showed up to my house and rang the door bell.

I couldn't even remember the last time you had rang the doorbell.

I got up and walked still in my pajamas with a smile excited to see you. When I opened the door you didn't come in, you stood there just staring at me with cold empty eyes, my smile faded.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately because this wasn't the boy I knew. The boy I knew would have immediately taken me in his arms and wouldn't of let me go until you left.

You came in without a word and sat on the couch. I studied you with your broad shoulders I couldn't resisted, your melt worthy brown eyes, and your fluffy blonde hair. I studied you as you studied your clasped hands.

"Patch?" I called.

You only looked up and said "We're done."

Confused I only responded with, "Okay... with what?" I waited patiently as annoyance grew on your face. It was the look you gave waiter last month when he got your order wrong for the second time, and when your car wouldn't start just last week, never had I seen it aimed at myself.

As if something you had coddled tight inside you snapped, you stood up and shouted, "With us Annalyn!" You said motioning between the two of us.

My confusion only grew.

More annoyance piled up than I thought was possible to show and you calmed yourself and then whispered, "I'm breaking up with you okay? We're done."

Once those words were uttered my stomach dropped. What had happened? What had I done? Was there another girl? Was it because I wouldn't sleep with him?

Before I knew what was happening I was asking all those questions aloud, and fast.

The look in your eyes softened a bit and your hostile poster deflated. "No, Anna." You said with a voice so sincere I could almost cry, "there's not a thing wrong with you. You're perfect. It's me." You flinched at your cliche breakup line.

My head was spinning and I was growing angry at the situation. "Oh, it's you?" I yelled stepping close to you so I was majorly invading his space. "It can't possibly be you because I have no problem with you, so it has to me!" I was seconds away from hitting you.

You started taking small steps closer to the door when I whispered in a voice that broke more times than I would like to remember, "don't be that guy who walks away without a reason why."

Before I could blink you were gone.

You had turned into that guy.

🔃🔃🔃🔃🔃

You might have notice that I skipped a whole week, arguably the worst week of my life, but I decided I'm going from the absolute worst days of my life and then on. I'll get there. But this was the second worst day of my life. I still don't understand why you had to do that. There's still I lot I don't understand and now that your gone I guess I never will, but that was always your intention wasn't it?

After this awful day I would learn horrible truths that I would have laughed at five seconds prior to you knocking on my door. They were the real reason you broke up with me and why it came without a reason.

Now I know you were only trying to protect me but it still doesn't lessen the pain when I recall that day.

I love you, even if you are just a ghost from my past.

Always,

Annalyn.