03. "until the levee"

Start from the beginning

Derek let in a sharp breath at that. He had his suspicions about Mia ever since he found her with Scott and Allison's insane mom. But they'd all been far too busy to ever dwell on the possibility she was another addition to the supernatural population in Beacon Hills.

"Her mom and Lydia are with her now, Stiles is waiting outside her room," Melissa continued. "He said something about seeing Peter hanging around outside, and that you'd probably want to see him before he steals candy from a baby." She chuckled.

Derek nodded, ignoring the jibe sent from Stiles. "Is Scott still-,"

"He's with Argent, I think. Last I heard anyway."

He nodded again, standing up and silently stalking out of the hospital. Melissa watched him leave, confused to see the man they all thought to be so heartless showing so much care to someone they didn't think he was close with at all.

Maybe Mia did have a point, Melissa chuckled. Maybe they were buddies.

-----

Deaton sat on his own in Mia's room, her family had reluctantly left not too long ago to go grab her a change of clothes and themselves some food from the orders of Melissa, who also dragged Stiles away. 

Leaving him alone with his thoughts as he watched the girl lay silent besides him. She had been mumbling in her unconscious state, almost completely healed now, just relying on some IV's to give her the nutrients she had been missing for so long.

The door opened slowly, making him snap his head towards it. Surprised to see Peter Hale of all people walking inside with an expression of pure indifference plastered on his face. 

"What are you doing here?"

Peter stopped at the foot of Mia's bed, but turned to look at Deaton. "Got bored on crazy-werewolf watch. Thought I'd check out crazy-hospital chick instead. Well, I guess this is crazy-werewolf watch too, isn't it?"

"She wasn't bitten, Peter." Deaton told him, with the true meaning behind his words lingering in the air.

Peter hummed. "And I get more curious."

Mia suddenly groaned, making both men jump slightly. She started talking incoherently, piquing Peter's interest even more, all the while making Deaton more nervous.

"Chatty one, is she?" Peter smirked.

"She's just-,"

"Talia? Corin-" The girl mumbled, cutting herself off with a wince before going silent once more, breaking Deaton's careful approach with Peter as he quickly jumped up and in front of the man who very quickly had the look of a mad man.

"She's not in her right mind, she's been through a lot. Don't do anything-,"

Peter quickly shut Deaton up, swiftly picking Deaton up and throwing him to the other side of the room, making him slam into the wall.

"Don't do anything... What? Impulsive? Rash? Reckless?" Peter's lip quirked in amusement. "You know who else used to say that to me?"

Deaton watched in horror as Peter flicked his wrist, claws quickly forming as he wastes no time in pushing Mia to her side, giving no mind to the countless wires and IV's. He dove his claws into the back of her head without a second thought, diving straight into a memory that wasn't even hers.

-----

He saw Talia, rushing towards Deaton as he exited his car, already making a beeline towards her. "How is-,"