"We need to hurry," I said. "The party starts at eight and we need a sound check." Luke nodded and sped up.

"Do we have anything to do tomorrow?" Luke asked a few minutes later.

"No, why?" Calum asked.

"I wanted to make plans but I didn't want them to interfere with anything we have to do tomorrow," he replied.

"Please don't tell me it has anything to do with Brielle," Michael sighed. Luke didn't answer. He just flushed and kept his eyes on the road. I don't understand his infatuation with her. Brielle was pretty but she was horrible to be in a relationship with. I just wish he could see that.

"Brielle is a horrible person Luke! Stop chasing her!" Mikey shouted suddenly. I saw Claire squeeze her hands into fists out of the corner of my eye.

~Claire~

"Stop talking shit about one of my best friends," I said harshly to Mikey. He gave me a surprised look but I returned it with a harsh one. "You weren't there when she changed. You don't know what happened. Okay? Stop acting like you do." When I finished, an uncomfortable silence settled over the car.

"What happened to her?" Luke asked me. I shook my head and looked out of the window. "I can't tell you. When she's ready, she'll tell you herself." The rest of the car ride was spent in silence.

When we got to the house the party was taking place at, I quickly hopped out of the van and stalked off to the backyard.

"Claire, wait!" Michael called. I ignored him and kept walking until he grabbed my arm and spun me around. "What happened?"

"He died," I snapped. "He died and she can't wrap her head around it. Stop bad mouthing her." I yanked my arm free and walked over to the side of the house, leaning up against it and sliding down into a bush over there. I just shook my head in disappointment.

"Hey, are you alright?" someone asked. I looked up and saw Ashton crouched down in front of me. I sighed and shook my head. Ashton pulled my hands away from my face and held them. "Everything's going to be okay, alright? I promise. I'll get Michael to stop talking about Brielle if it'll make you happy, yeah?" I just sort of nodded. Ash tilted my chin so I was looking into his hazel eyes and was totally unprepared for what happened next.

Ashton leaned in and kissed me. I froze for a moment before kissing him back, squeezing his hands lightly. God knows how long I waited for that moment. His lips were so soft and warm, his hands so gentle as they held my waist. Ashton Irwin was perfect, it was official.

"Ash! Claire! Sound check! Come on!" Calum shouted. We pulled apart and both flushed before looking away. Ashton helped me to my feet before walking with me over to the stage, his hand gently clasped around mine.

"Are you two together? It's about damn time," Michael said and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Shut up Mikey," I said.

"Wait, you knew?" Calum asked him.

"What the hell did you know?" Michael asked him.

"That Ash liked Claire. What did you know?"

"That Claire liked Ash. How do you think she broke my hand? I almost told everyone by accident and she pushed me off of her lap and onto the floor."

"I apologised for that," I reminded him. Mikey just stuck his tongue out at me.

"Can we just get through this sound check please?" Luke asked. He was staring down at his shoes and I guessed he wished he could be with Brielle the way I was with Ashton.

"Erm, right," Calum said, plugging his base into one of the amps. Ashton finished setting up his drums and sat behind them while I prepped myself.

The sound check went on for about half an hour until party guests started showing up. Then Ashton's sister Laura was led in with a blindfold over her eyes.

"What's going on?" she kept asking her mom. Laura was pushed into a chair in front of the stage. Ashton cued for us to start and we did. Then Laura removed the blindfold and screamed. Michael was standing right next to her so she hugged him first and watched excitedly as we played seven songs in a row while people ate, danced and laughed. By the end of the seventh song my fingers were aching. Ashton came over and helped me unplug the guitar from the amp.

"You did great," Ash said, leaning in and kissing my cheek. I blushed and mumbled a thank you.

"Ashy!" Laura squealed, running over and attacking her brother. I took that as my cue to leave but Ashton latched onto my hand.

"Laura, this is Claire. She's been filling in for Michael," Ashton said. "Claire, this is my sister Laura." Laura and I shook hands. Then she said, "Well, she sure is prettier than Jasmine."

"Laura, let's not talk about that," Ash said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. She shrugged and said, "If Ashton doesn't treat you right, kick his ass. He's generally a sweetheart though."

"Oh. Um..." I just looked down at my shoes, not really knowing how to respond to that.

"Yes, okay thank you, Laura. You can go now," Ashton said, poking her in the side. She shrugged and left to hang out with her friends.

"Sorry about her," he said, standing next to me as we watched Laura catch up with her friends. "She's a little..."

"She's fine," I reassured him. He smiled and took my hand again.

We spent the rest of the night just hanging out, drinking soda and kissing. It was probably one of the best nights of my life.

That night when Ashton dropped me off at my house, he pulled me in for a hug and kissed the top of my head.

"Night," he said to me.

"Night," I said back, blushing and looking down at my shoes. I walked inside and started jumping and skipping around the kitchen.

"What the hell?" Leia asked. I ignored her and just ran around the living room.

"What's up with her?" Riley asked Leia when she followed me into the living room.

"I have no fucking idea," she replied, sitting down on the couch. I just squealed in response and skipped into my room before jumping into bed and wrapping my comforter around me.

Best. Night. Ever.