Chapter 1

Not Edited

I knew the time would come, just not this quickly. I thought I would've at least gotten a warning before it happened. Before he came to town, for him to get revenge.

5 years ago

 "Mommy! Daddy! Stop fighting, please!" The innocent looking child screamed as her father threw plate after plate at her beaten and bruised mother. He stopped for a second and turned his head to the girl quickly, cracking his long neck in the process; glaring at her intensely.
"Go to your room." He said to her in a calm yet stern voice, whilst giving the child the evil eye. Not wanting to have another argument with her delusional parent, she hurriedly bolted up the stairs, although once she got to the top, stayed behind the banister; spying on psychotic person that helped raise her, although he didn't really act like much of a dad. Her father- who didn't even bother to check if the girl had gotten upstairs instead started making his way to the child's big brothers room, but before he could get there, her mother threw herself at the door- making sure he couldn't get through. "Move." Ordered his gruff voice, scowling at the woman who would try so hard to protect her son and daughter. The one who worked her butt off to earn money, to save up for her children who she could only hope to have a great life. Unfortunately, we don't all get what we want.

  When she flinched but didn't make any other progress, he grew impatient. A gigantic bang soon rang out through the room making it seem like it shook with fright and it all went silent for a few moments. No movement was made except the small pitter patter of the water of the kitchen tap that had always leaked.

Pitter,

patter.

Pitter,

patter. 

 The girl at the top of the stairs gaped in horror as her mother fell to the carpeted floor in slow motion, nothing came out of her open mouth, not a scream, not a single sound. Everything seemed to stop around the child as she stared at her bloody mother that eyes used to light up the day around them even on a rainy, cloudy day were now a dark amber that would haunt the youngsters nightmares ever since that exact night. Her father looked wide eyed as if he didn't even know what he'd done to her, or hadn't been in control over what his very own arms had done. He had shot the child's mother square in the middle of her eyes. Staring at his hands with a shocked expression, he breathed in deeply and did what he had learned to do, eventually learning how to almost always get away with it. He... ran. Ran right out of the front door and never looked back.

   Soon enough, many sirens were heard- getting closer and closer until they blared loudly; hurting the now motherless child's ears and making them numb from the racket coming from right outside the walls. She didn't know what came over her at that exact moment, but she did what her father had taught her to do- sped off just how that horrid man had done. She bolted as fast as her tiny legs could take her and only looked over her shoulder once to see her back door being broke down, her brother being carried out by the medical people: checking for any injuries he had done, but all the while,as they continued their small hunt for harm, the boy lay in ones arms, staring pleadingly at his little sister to come home, into his arms.

 But she ignored his dull look, instead she gave a small salute as they always had done when parting to separate ways for school. Only... this would be a much longer journey than they used for school- she would have to walk many miles to get to her destination. Wherever that would be. With one last sorrow look from her big brother, Lily turned her head back to the front and off her legs took her, all the while she tried to forget about his facial expressions and features. She ignored her thoughts and focused on the future. After all, she ought to not dwell on the past, right? On an adventure that the child never knew would take her to a magical place she went. She took one last glance over her shoulder and that was all it took: seeing those cars all parked in front of her house, her brother surrounded by doctors and medical people. It was enough for Lily; she bolted through the silent but deadly forest that was seeming bigger than normal due to her tiny frame, before she knew it, she realised that she was leaving, leaving the only place she had called home behind and never coming back again...